new Drone flys, floats and dives underwater, but.....

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Squidly-Diddly, Jan 29, 2016.

1. Squidly-Diddly

Squidly-Diddly Senior Member

http://www.gizmag.com/loon-copter-amphibious-drone/41485/pictures#1

it says it can't transmit from underwater.

Why not include a little float on a wire with the transmitter?

I don't think it would be too hard to keep the wire clear of the props if you paid careful attention.

10ft should be plenty for starters. Dangle the wire from underneath. No problems while airborne. Then when landing in water just don't come straight down but come it with some forward motion like a normal helicopter and avoid tight underwater turns back into the wire.

I guess think live video from underwater would make the drone 10X more useful than needing to wait to upload video, and not knowing what it is seeing till then.

2. Kailani

Kailani Senior Member

I think a good number will get lost...

I've been looking at the OpenROV. It uses a tether to a floating wifi pad. http://www.openrov.com/ $899 for the starter kit.

3. cmckesson

cmckesson Naval Architect

I have been wondering about the feasibility of using a drone to scout an anchorage.

There are a few cases where we are trying to decide which side of an island to choose. And the decision needs to be made a mile or two away. But to make the decision I wish to know how many boats are in each of the two anchorages, so I can judge whether there is room or not.

Would a drone be suitable for this? It would need to have several miles of range, and be able to fly in 15 knot winds, and return to me...probably landing on water for me to scoop it up.

Is such a thing within the COTS state-of-the-art?

4. jorgepease

jorgepease Senior Member

I love the idea of it being waterproof let alone submersible, I was always worried about dunking my old drone as I like to film while out on the boat.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.