Design Specs

Discussion in 'Option One' started by LP, Jan 9, 2006.

1. LP

LP Flying Boatman

Looks like this thread has slowed considerably. I like the concept of whats going on here, but find it difficult to visualize where things stand at the moment. There is a lot of material to wade though here. It makes finding even the basics about the project (like LWL, LOA, Bmax, BWL, etc...) difficult to find.

Any interest in having a thread dedicated to posting the most current set of specs for the project? Perhaps several broken down by hull, engine, interior, electrical etc. Added as needed to keep prominent information easily found.

2. Willallison

Willallison Senior Member

Sounds like an excellent idea
    I was one of the main contributors to the O-1 threads. I produced the only CAD hullform so far. I hope to get back to it as soon as my Westlawn studies are complete in the next few months. It'd be nice to see the project come to some sort of conclusion...

3. LP

LP Flying Boatman

I've only had a passing interest in the project. None the less, it looks like the hull form was pretty much nailed down, but I just can't really say for sure. If we have a set of offsets, I'd be willing to draw it up in Freeship and post the file for others to see. From the latest posts, it sounds like there was a need to come up with some scantlings for the project. I find it hard to believe that there is no one on the forum with the expertise for that stage in the project. From that point forward, there are only mechanical systems and accommodations. Once the hull form is settled, it sounds like plug and grind for the rest of the project.

Accommodations are best left to the owner/builder (personal preference). Maybe the mechanicals should be left open to some interpretation also (I/B vs. O/B). There was some comment in other threads about why this project is wallowing a bit. Something about too many different ideas about what the final product should be. Perhaps that is a good thing. Let there be enough leeway that an individual and personalize the project to meet his/her own needs.

If the hull form is pretty much finalized, then let's pick a medium (or mediums) for the project and move on. Maybe the hull should have scantlings for steel, alum, GRP and wood so that a builder can use the medium that suits his abilities.

There has been so much time and talent invested here that it's a waste not to finish it. If there is a member that is sufficiently familiar with O-1 to post a list of specs maybe even summarize the goals of the project as it stands, I would appreciate it and maybe we could get a jump start on furthering the project.

Regards

4. Willallison

Willallison Senior Member

..From a recent reply to another "passing interest", O-1 to date:

I found that the O-1 project needed continual input to keep it going. Unfortunately, I had to devote the time required to my studies. I'm perfectly capable and willing to do the scantlings etc - but not until I have the time to do so. As I said before - maybe in a few months time....

As far as materials go, I agree, O-1 should be as flexible as possible - although given that she is a planing vessel, I don't think that steel is a viable choice.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.