Picking a Design

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Zilant, Mar 9, 2016.

1. Zilant

Zilant New Member

I'm not sure if this is a thread for the construction section or this one...

I have started reading stuff on boat building and I want to start learning about it with a more hands on approach. I'm already good with tools and woodworking.

I'm thinking of starting to build one right away. Yet at this point I'm not experienced enough to chose a reliable design that also I can use after building.

After some searching I decided to buy the plans for this one (since I've also found it slightly easier to build compared to one's similar in size)

http://www.woodenboat.com/boat-plans-kits/volare-utility

Should I just start building with the design I've found or are there any suggestions for common and reliable designs to start boat building with?

2. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

The narrow bottom will make the boat rather tender (easy to tip over). Otherwise, it is not remarkable. Where are you planning on using the boat, and how many people on board?

3. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

This is appears to be a Bolger Diablo knock off, with a weird forefoot, that looks too deep. Andrew Walters seems nice enough, but hasn't any real experience with yacht design. He's using "SketchUp" as his CAD tool, which is a big "tell" and the particular design you like is overly complex and heavy, for what it is. Look at: bandbyachtdesigns.com, glen-l.com and bateau.com for other designs.

4. Skyak

Skyak Senior Member

It would help greatly to know your plan for power, where you would use it, and what your expectations are for speed/efficiency. Low power in flat water would allow you to build a super simple hull. Speed and waves bring handling considerations.

5. Barry

Barry Senior Member

As Gonzo stated, the planing surface is extremely narrow, ie the flat part at the bottom of the hull.
    A simple look at small boats such as this will reveal that there are none, or almost no successful boats with such a narrow width for planing.
    In a small boat with limited hp, the wider the hull is at the chines, the easier it will plane .

6. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

Looks very "tippy" to me !

7. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Underway the Diablo was pretty stable, but yeah, it wasn't a very comfortable platform at rest. I suspect the same from this boat. If you look at the drawings, it's an overly complex thing, given it's just a 15' boat and at 400+ pounds, this complexity adds up. I don't think any 15' boat should be that complex.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.