Carter 33

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by Frenny, Sep 6, 2015.

1. Frenny

Frenny Junior Member

I am looking at purchasing a Carter 33 and hoping to view this week. Does anyone on this forum know if the Carter 33's suffered with osmosis at all? Some boats are more susceptible but if anyone has any first hand knowledge or experience that would be helpful.

I believe this boat was built by the Olympic yard in Greec who I believe had a good reputation and Dick Carter was very particular about quality control I have read. Boat is called "Pot Luck" but not sure if it had other names. I might change the name if I buy her as not sure that name is one I like. More info to follow when I have viewed her. Many thanks, Andy

2. waikikin

waikikin Senior Member

I have an Olympic Yachts Carter 33, haven't had her out yet as only owned for about 10 months and was at a price that I was happy to buy with plenty for contingencies. She had been surveyed out of water around 12 month prior by an old workmate(one of my supervising tradesmen during Shipwright apprenticeship) & nothing too untoward. A couple of blisters is not much to worry about. Mine was built in maybe 76 although her state rego shows 84 from memory- that may well have been when she got to Aust, the Greek built Carters are very uncommon here, there was an Australian built version with a couple of variations available like center cockpit/wedge cabin. The rudders on the Olympic yacht versions is a little different known as the "golf tee" mine shows a bit of play but haven't worried about pulling yet, some apparently show some stress cracking around keel.
    There's a facebook site for them as well as some info on Cruisers and Sailors forum also.
    Great boat and layout.

Jeff.

3. Frenny

Frenny Junior Member

Hi Jeff, many thanks that is very helpful. This boat is in UK and in need of TLC as used as live aboard for last three years. Looks pretty original though so hoping to get for a good price and like you with contingencies for updating. I was looking at Nicholson 32's but they are just too expensive and this Carter is about half the cost of a Nic 32 and ideal for lomg distance cruising.

I have joined the Fb page so I will post on there too.

Thanks,

Andy

4. Charlie88

Charlie88 New Member

My father had a Carter 33 (Olympic Yachts, 1972) for about 20 years. He was meticulous with upkeep and loved that boat. A good friend of his built a beautiful scale model as a gift. I'm now trying to find that model a good home. Anyone know a potential destination?

5. Frenny

Frenny Junior Member

Hi Charlie

I would be interested, where are you based and what price are you looking for for the boat model? My personal email is andy102963@hotmail.co.uk. Thanks. Andy