New deck for a 1958 14' Thompson Runabout

Discussion in 'Wooden Boat Building and Restoration' started by Sultana, May 1, 2005.

1. Sultana

Sultana New Member

My 14' runabout has been in storage for 15 years. It has white oak ribs in good condition with poplar planks. Years ago a previous owner sanded the deck with a drill sander and ruined the deck with cuts through the veneer. Here in Indiana USA it seems that the only material available for decking is Luan. I know the problems with Luan. Can anyone suggest another material?
    The old deck is 3/8" thick with Mahogany veneer on both sides. I will need two 4'x8' sheets in order to replace the whole deck.

2. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

Sounds like you're trying to get a nice-looking wood deck, make it look original....
    I'm a fan of wood-strip decking, myself; lot of work though, and heavier than veneer.
    Indiana, you say? Might have to drive a few hours to get good wood. It can be a royal pain to get decent mahogany plywood (or any decent marine ply, for that matter) but patience, Google and the Yellow Pages will eventually get you something you like. It's a matter of personal taste what wood you use.

3. cyclops

cyclops Senior Member

Don't laugh to fast. Finished a 8' X 3.5' all plywood boat for school kids to drive in with a trolling motor and steering. Home Depot -EXTERIOR AC 5/16" Cabots Mahogany stain, 1 fast -light -even coat -dry 1 week. Cabots Spar Varnish 3 coats- 1 day each coat. Some of the ply looks just like Mahogany on a woodie. If I had taken time to use a very thin Scripto marker pen to put down full length lines on bare sheet. It would fool anyone.

4. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member