New cruising catamarans / design style in the computer age

Discussion in 'Powerboats' started by Jeff, May 24, 2002.

1. Jeff

Jeff Moderator

While I was going through the directory portion of our site tonight, I discovered two new cruising catamarans on the http://www.pedigreecats.com web site.

I can’t think of a way to tie this into an existing thread, so I decided to start a new thread – anyone please always feel free to post a note if you see a new web site or design that you’re impressed with. Maybe I’ll even create a new forum called “web sightings” to encourage people to post any interesting web sites, designs, or projects they happen to discover and would like to share.

First I was impressed by the design style of the Jaguar 58’ process drawings. I’ve been focussing all my attention lately on the newest 3d modeling and photo-realistic rendering and animation techniques, and while I’m still always impressed by how much 3d computer modeling can offer, it was refreshing to see the simple and beautiful pencil sketches here by Phil Aylsworth Design, Inc. (maybe I could tie this in with the thread about industrial designers and careers in yacht design / design style / etc). Somehow the feeling that the images are part of the design process make them seem alive. They capture the ideas perfectly and have a certain mystique that I think computer rendering sometimes miss.

Perspective View:

Attached Files:

2. Jeff

Jeff Moderator

Front View:

Attached Files:

3. Jeff

Jeff Moderator

Rear View:

Attached Files:

4. Jeff

Jeff Moderator

Top View:

Attached Files:

5. Jeff

Jeff Moderator

And for a juxtaposition, being impressed with a couple of the Grainger cruising catamaran designs, I happened to be looking around the http://www.graingerdesigns.com web site and found this conceptual design:

Attached Files:

6. Willallison

Willallison Senior Member

Wow! now that's an interesting concept - I can't quite make out what keeps the bow afloat though!

I'm with you Jeff - nothing can replace the beauty (for want of a better word) of an artistic and accurate hand drawn "sketch". Let's just hope that in the age of CAD it doesn't completely become a thing of the past.

PS - the "web sitings" thread is a terrific idea

7. Jeff

Jeff Moderator

Hydrofoil - granted at slow speed there is quite a large bow overhang, but probably not too much weight to be balanced by the engines aft.

P.S. sorry for veering the thread away from the title - while I started looking for new cruising catamarans I ended up thinking about design and drawing styles. Over the past few years I myself have become such a computer-guy that I'm not even sure where the pens and pencils are any more, which is what got me thinking about it some.

Tony Grainger's design reminds me of the futuristic Jules-Verne popular mechanics type illustrations which would get me daydreaming when I was a kid...

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.