Advice on wood boat deck finish???

Discussion in 'Materials' started by BadBrian, Feb 12, 2011.

1. BadBrian

BadBrian New Member

Hi there I am new to this site and I thought maybe I could get some help with my current project. I have a 30' wood pilot house cruiser mechanically it runs excellent with it's 120hp ford lehman desiel. I have put alot of extra's into this boat now I plan to fix the exterior. What it needs is the deck refinished??? I have a couple small leaks when it rains what I want to do is refinsh the whole thing and paint it a different color. It was built in 1965 so it is a old boat but I love it. What I need to know is what would be the best way to do the deck I have rebuilt the front with plywood so should I fiberglass over that or is there any kind of epoxy paint I could use that would seal it any and all info would be a great help thanks Brian

2. CaptBill

CaptBill CaptBill

Definitely want to fiberglass. It's rather simple. I would imagine a mat fiberglass sufficient for a deck.

3. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

An easier and more durable choice is Xynole instead of 'glass. It conforms to shapes much better, can be stretched around things better has 6 times the abrasion resistance of regular 'glass, etc. It uses more resin the then regular 'glass, but this is one of the reasons it works so well.

4. BadBrian

BadBrian New Member

hi

where do I buy that from and how much is it??? Thanks

5. rasorinc

rasorinc Senior Member

6. PAR

7. etott

etott Junior Member

Anyone know how much resin you need when using xynole?
    thanks

8. PAR

About 3 times as much as regular cloth, though environmental and application conditions play a role too.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.