new build

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by eyschulman, Jul 27, 2012.

1. eyschulman

eyschulman Senior Member

Based on the following spec and hull pictures what type of performance do you think this hull will get? Waterline 45.8-beam13.4-draft 36"-disp loaded 31,000lb. Twin JD 330HP at 2600rpm-ZF 301A @ 2:1 ratio-2" shafts -staight drive-22x25 4 bld props- 12 degree down angle. Trim tabs yes.

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
  2. eyschulman

eyschulman Senior Member

Nobody with an educated guess? The boatdiesel prop calculator places top speed at 17K burnning 26 gal/hr and at 12k 9gal/hr. Looking at hull and #s does anybody think this boat will be faster? I do.

3. viking north

viking north VINLAND

Dare I say, Looks like a certain Whidbey Island style, I like it, a vessel that looks like a boat not a spaceship. Performance and 26gal. ($120.00 Can. fuel cost) per hour to travel say roughly 20 land miles. Is that what I am reading ??? Best you don't run this machine full out. 12knots at 9 gal an hour seem more realistic. Wow I am indeed a poor man as 26 gal. of diesel is roughly my diesel consumption for 1/3 season in my past 10,000 lb. loaded displacement motorsailers. :) (and expect to be likewise with this new build.) Shaft down angle has always been a sore spot with me and at 12deg. you must be getting close to the limit. This alone might account for a fair amount of energy consumption at the higher RPM. I'm sure there must be a graph of this somewhere. As i've said many times before i'm no architect but just looking at your craft and my experience with similar shape and displacement fishing boats i would expect a good scenerio, you'll be running around 10knts 6 to 7 GPH 75% of your travels-- nice project and a good home on the water --- Geo.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2012
  4. eyschulman

eyschulman Senior Member

The calculator pegs fuel burn at one k below hull speed at approx 3/gal hr. That would be at 8k. Not as good as my sail boats but considering many anchorages in nothwest are 10k or less apart not too expensive. It's the upper end which is in question. I only run fast(15k) for crossing staights and gulf of Georgia and if I am late to rapids. No one seems to know how much of a plane this semidisplacement hull will allow.To my eye the butt flattens quite a bit. It may be 4-6 months before the answer will become apparent.

5. viking north

viking north VINLAND

Seems i have made a couple of errors,the spelling of Whidbey Island and I always thought Sam Devlin's shop was there, I was sure the last time I spoke with him (10 to 12 yrs ago)he resided on said Island ??? However I am 100% sure I do have a sister living there even if I didn't spell it correctly. :) Anyhow back on topic, 3 GPH at 8 knots is very very respectible, and certainly compensates for the consumption on those once and awhile high speed runs. Nice craft--Good Luck on the project---Geo.

6. eyschulman

eyschulman Senior Member

Geo. Sam's shop is now in Tumwater just east of Olympia. Small world I have a daughter with a home at Sandy Point Whidbey.

7. viking north

viking north VINLAND

Small world indeed -- my sister lives in Oak Harbour. Another small world -- she like myself of course is from The Rock known all over Canada as (Newfoundland) which happens to be also the common name for Whidby Island. Go figure ---:)
    Years ago I spoke with Sam as I had a customer interested in a Surf Scooter build and myself interested in his Oysta design but alas neither worked out, the customer purchased a used boat and life's responsibilities stole my Oysta plans. Was out on your coast in 74 on a big Hinckley and I plan a return trip in two/three years with the land yacht. Might see your finished product at that time but meanwhile keep posting the build - Geo.

8. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

George Buehler lives there. At WOT, you might see 20 knots as a rough estimate, but you'll be sucking fuel like a hooker outside a GM plant on pay day all the while.

9. viking north

viking north VINLAND

George Beuhler -- have his book --which portrays a very a positive attitute toward building a boat and no doubt got alot of people off their asses and out on the water. :) "A hooker inside a GM plant on payday" isn't that like anti union out sourcing and at 20kts Hope "she" has really big fuel tanks or short "legs" (to run). :p (Sorry guys, "The devil made me do it") Getting back to the build, I think it's that Devlin trade mark tug like wheelhouse that catches ones eye. No doubt it's a reflection of the old steam tugs towing those big square riggers across the "Bar". A nice historical nautical touch, she'll stand out.

A yacht is not defined by the vessel but by the care and love of her owner--

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.