New Build Begins

Discussion in 'Wooden Boat Building and Restoration' started by Wayne Grabow, May 17, 2009.

1. Wayne Grabow

Wayne Grabow Senior Member

A few months ago I posted on a hull design method I use with a sample hull design as an example. Now I am converting that design exercise into a real boat. The first chore was to convert a table of offsets into a set of frame patterns including the keel forefoot. The initial patterns simply defined the external shape at each station; I had to transform each of them into a structural guide, indicating the width of members, angles of intersection, placement of gussets, and internal framing for a motor well and cockpit. Once that was done it was straight forward to produce the actual frames. After building a strongback with supports spaced to support each frame, I used a laser level to sequentially mount all frames. Next I inlet the keel, deck beam, keelsons, and motor well supports into place. Today I started bonding the motor well itself into place.

Things are going well. After building previous boats in basements, garages, and even a screened porch, I finally have a decent-sized shop. I can hardly believe how much nicer it makes the work.

Next I plan to build the sheer and chines. If I have done everything right, there should be some pictures of the progress included with this posting.

Attached Files: