New build, 22ft 1950's styled jet boat

Discussion in 'Jet Drives' started by Rupert2012, Sep 6, 2012.

1. Rupert2012

Rupert2012 New Member

Hi All,

I'm new to this forum but have already found some great information on jet boats. I started a project 10 years ago, my intention was to build a classic looking boat that performed like a jet boat. I was fairly young when i started the project and as much as i want to see it completed i am concerned that investing anymore time/money may be futile due to the weight/shape of my hull.

I purchased my plans from Glen L in america, the hull is warped with a very minimal deadrise at the transom. The overall weight is quite high:

Boat: At a guess 400 kg ? maybe more ? oak frame and marine 18mm marine ply.

Engine: 240 kg http://www.lancingmarine.com/databook5pages/pumaT.pdf

Jet: 75kg http://www.castoldijet.it/filemanager/cms_castoldi/img/waterjet/Modelli/Jet_05/jet05_depliant.pdf

These are some pics of the boat showing the bottom, I'd be very grateful for your thoughts. Do you think its worth completing ?

What sort of performance could i expect, anything i could to to improve this ?

https://picasaweb.google.com/rupert.mckelvie/JetBoat?authuser=0&feat=directlink

Many thanks

Rupert

2. rasorinc

rasorinc Senior Member

What is the Glen-L name for this boat? Then I can review the list of materials and weights.

3. Rupert2012

Rupert2012 New Member

Thanks Rasorinc, the model is 'Mist Miss'. I think it's been dis-continued now. Any help would be greatly received.

4. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Yarecraft in Great Yarmouth built a very similar boat --went bust years and years ago.

I have never heard of Mist miss,--sounds very British though.

http://www.oldspeedboats.co.uk/

5. speedboats

speedboats Senior Member

I'm assuming the gearbox is the 31/35 ratio for that motor?

For a performance boat I'd have thought that 145hp be a little light, although when I say performance I'm talking 45mph+

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I built this alloy cabin boat a while ago with the Isuzu 1.9L Diesel making 120hp coupled to a Doen Jet (It was a Mercury package) which went fine. Weights would have been similar (I never weighed it), but it had significantly more deadrise. With the lesser deadrise your boat should get up and plane easily.

IMO the vessel will be more than fine as long as you are happy with 30-40mph. Those style boats are quite beautiful and I look forward to seeing it finnished....

6. Rupert2012

Rupert2012 New Member

Yes happy with those sorts of speeds, with such a small deadrise will it slide on the turns and can that be dangerous if it then catchs a chine and wants to roll ?. Otherwise could be fun but like driving on ice ?. I guess a directional fin would counteract this ?

7. speedboats

speedboats Senior Member

Rupert, how it the build coming along?