New Boating Accessory Product Survey.. Boston University Students please help!

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by boatingsurvey, Oct 28, 2007.

1. boatingsurvey

boatingsurvey New Member

We are a group of Boston University students working on developing a new boating accessory product. We appreciate anyone willing to take the survey and help us out!

https://vovici.com/wsb.dll/s/7f7eg2d80a

Thanks!

2. yipster

yipster designer

hmm... hello boston university students. i started out one page than a second came up so i gave up early
    line winders aint exactly new and allthough you do got a point there to make a nautical i wouldnt call it a new product
    maybe with a lock build in or better specified the product could have gotten me more enthousiastic :p

3. DanishBagger

DanishBagger Never Again

Not to mention only americans get to vote on where they sail. Apparently "north west" is an american-only area …

4. safewalrus

safewalrus Ancient Marriner

It's garrbage isn't it? No way would I want that cluttering up my vessel, and going wrong so I guess I'm lucky I can't buy one!

5. DanishBagger

DanishBagger Never Again

I had the thought that if someone needed something like that to keep their lines in order, I wouldn't want to sail with them.

6. safewalrus

safewalrus Ancient Marriner

Very true Danish, if they are that bad it would be disaster!

7. yipster

yipster designer

thinking of you guy's i drew up attached rough sketch thinking of drainage or deck mounting
    in a quiok search i see the same thoughts here

[​IMG]
    perhaps a little more R&D can result into a usefull new product?

Attached Files:

8. charmc

charmc Senior Member

Hello,

Please take this as constructive criticism:

As others pointed out, you have a survey limited to US criteria, publicized on a forum in which at least half, perhaps a majority, of the members are from all over the world. Either fix the survey, or note in your introductory post that you are seeking replies from US boaters only.

The survey format is irritating, as it would not let me continue until I inserted a value of 1 or higher for question 11. My real answer is $0, as I personally would not pay anything for what is, to me, a useless gadget, but the survey insists I lie and place some value there. That is extraordinarily irritating. Beware of the companies selling their services to get you an easy and low cost marketing survey. Worthwhile marketing surveys are neither inexpensive nor easy to construct.

You might have a market with boaters who are rank beginners or who think the purpose of a boat is a place to show off their money and have parties. Seriously, that might actually be enough of a market to make the product successful.

Don't be discouraged if you don't get much positive response here, as this forum has many experienced boaters for whom handling mooring lines is like breathing. Like me, most will think your proposed product is a toy. Beginners and the (unfortunately) far too many boaters with no skills might like it, however.