electrical ref.

Discussion in 'Electrical Systems' started by toussy, Mar 31, 2007.

1. toussy

toussy New Member

Recentely I have bought a 48ft motoryacht equipped with two diesel engine . I need to redo the electrical wiring for the whole boat ( engine and other components , 12V and 220V ). Could someone please refer me to an easy electrical book which explain step by step the method of wiring boats

2. TerryKing

TerryKing On The Water SOON

Rebuilding Electrical System

Toussy, there's a beginning of an Electrical Systems section of the boatdesign.net Wiki, but it's very incomplete. It may help later.

Start with http://newboatbuilders.com/pages/elect.html and I would look at his suggestions about books.

Also, http://www.yachtsurvey.com/boat_battery_basics.htm is a good source about batteries.

When you learn something that you think is missing in the Wiki (And you'll learn a lot rewiring that boat!) add it to the Wiki...

3. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

I would strongly recommend you seek the services of a skilled marine electrician (not a land based electrician, there are substantial differences and requirements).

The level of electrical complexity, in a 48' twin diesel yacht, is quite extensive and beyond the scope of a book or the ability of a novice. You may have considerable success re-wiring many of the branchs in your multiple systems. No book will provide a step by step manual, for the many systems and sub-systems aboard your vessel, there are just too many possible methods and techniques that could be employed, for each example.

There are several books (some available here in the BoatDesign Book Store) that will provide an overview to the methods and techniques used. It would be a good idea to get a few of these and educate yourself about the systems and how they are assembled. Much of this information will be valuable in finding faults or correcting problems.

In short, it takes considerably more then a book or two to develop the skills, or the knowledge necessary to understand and problem solve these systems. Yes, much can be done by the yacht owner, but a fair amount of it will be well past your understanding, even after several books have been absorbed.

4. longliner45

longliner45 Senior Member

as par said: the differance is on land they use why system ,on boats you must use delta system,,delta uses its own ground ,,longliner

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.