new boatbuilder

Discussion in 'Wooden Boat Building and Restoration' started by sean-nós, May 14, 2010.

1. Richie M

Richie M New Member

This is a great build!
    I was looking on line for plans for boats like these and to see your building them only up the road is great, Im living in cavan. I have built a few cedar strip kayaks but my next build will have an engine!
    Keep up the good work

2. sean-nós

sean-nós Senior Member

Cheers, your more than welcome to come and have a look at my boats if your ever down this way. I did a lot of boating up in Cavan as I used to keep a boat in Quivvy marina near Belturbet Lovely part of Ireland and lots of water to play on :D

3. sean-nós

sean-nós Senior Member

4. rasorinc

rasorinc Senior Member

Looks great............If you lived closer I'd have you do my front deck.
    Good job................

5. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

Good job? Great job!

6. Wayne Grabow

Wayne Grabow Senior Member

Great photos. Keep it coming 9with details); this is the next step I will be doing in my build.

7. sean-nós

sean-nós Senior Member

Aa I may have said before I was not happy with the finish on the hull as there were some patches where dampness got into the epoxy overnight that looked a bit cloudy, the fiberglass was easy enough to remove with a heat gun but the resin that was left behind was a real pain to sand down but 50 sanding discs later it's done :) I hope I don't have to do this again so next time I'm going to go with 207 west system special hardener.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm also going to give peel ply a go on the transom first this will protect it from any dirt or dampness in the air and when removed should leave a smooth finish ready for varnish, if it works out I will do the whole boat with it if not I'll take it off and sand it back down :eek:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. sean-nós

sean-nós Senior Member

3 coats of epoxy and a bit of an idea how it will turn, I'm not happy how it's reacting with the caulking it doesn't seem to want to stick to it so I might have to sand it back down and remove it and try a different one, I should have done a test before hand but as it was sikaflex I thought it would be fine I'm also using 207 special hardener for the first time so that might also have something to do with it :mad: I'll see how it looks when it set and try and come up with a plan, all in all I'm happy with the look of it except for the bloody flies that keep sticking to it.

[​IMG][/URL]

[​IMG][/URL]

Fiberglassing round two lets hope this one comes out ok I'm using 4 oz cloth stopping just short of the deck were the rub rail is going.
    The right side has it' first coat on for a few hours and this is when I trim the cloth and remove the tape before the next coat of epoxy.

[​IMG]

Both sides done and the place is a bit of a mess, no time to stop while epoxying. The next coat is to fill the weave and I'm putting this on good and thick as I will be laying peel ply over it.

[​IMG]

I used a squeegee to put another coat over the peel ply forcing it in till it's gone clear and moving any bubbles out to the edge. I finished up at about 11 last night and it started raining this morning so I just hope it had enough time to cure before any dampness got in and the peel ply is doing it's job only time will tell. As I'm using a slow hardener the deck was still a bit soft to sand so I'll leave it a bit longer before I get to work on it.

[​IMG]

9. sean-nós

sean-nós Senior Member

Well it's been a while but here she is on her first test run.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The only problem I had was a bit of porposing at 35-40 MPH so I might have to add some weight to the bow or add trim tabs or wedges.

10. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Weight on her bow will just make it worse. These boats "drive over center" at fairly low speeds. Tabs will work, but you may need adjustable ones, if you expect to really scoot. Weight aft will be more effective, though again these hulls aren't well shaped to go much faster. Tabs and better weight distribution will get you close to 50 MPH, but you'll be driving over center again and she'll just porpoise much worse at the higher speeds. By driving over center, I mean the CB moves aft as you go faster and the planing patch gets smaller and further aft, but the CG remains in the same location, fairly far forward and she eventually teeter totters and the process starts over again, when the boat plunges and the CB move forward again. About what angle of attack is the boat when she pops off plane and dives back in (porpoising)?

11. sean-nós

sean-nós Senior Member

Thanks for your advice PAR, I will need to get a video from outside the boat to see what angle she starts bouncing it feels quite level to me she might even push through and level out herself but my camera man was getting a bit white knuckled so I didn't want to push it and get my seats dirty:D

12. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Once you start to porpoise, you're not going to "push through" and suddenly have things be okay. If you try, what will happen is the back of the boat will try to swap ends with the front of the boat, which at speed can be very undesirable. The usual angle this occurs (on boats shaped generally as yours is) is about 6.5 degrees of trim.

13. sean-nós

sean-nós Senior Member

So that's what that was :D at one stage I did think I had lost control of the rudder, I was holding the wheel tight and like you said she tried to spin around. I checked every nut,bolt and link but could not find any reason for it happening and had been scratching my head ever since as to why it happened as it did not seem logical "you learn something new every day" Thanks for teaching.

2 people like this.
  14. sean-nós

sean-nós Senior Member

All went well on the launch day and the trim tabs worked a treat, couldn't be happier with her :D

1 person likes this.

15. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

Congratulations.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.