new boatbuilder

Discussion in 'Wooden Boat Building and Restoration' started by sean-nós, May 14, 2010.

1. sean-nós

sean-nós Senior Member

I moved the boat forward by putting a few bits of pipe under the building frame and just rolled it out, next I added two 8 foot lengths of 4x2 to the boat to use as handles and to keep it off the ground.

[​IMG]

It was a bit tight on one side :eek:

[​IMG]

Sorry no photo of the turn as my hands were full, but with the help of 3 mates we got her on her side then lifted it up from the bottom and over she went.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

For the first time she is looking like a boat :D

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  2. IMP-ish

IMP-ish powerboater

That is sharp!

3. sean-nós

sean-nós Senior Member

Two coats of epoxy and two of varnish "boy do I hate sanding between coats" but I might do one more :) I hope to fit the engine in the next week or so :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  4. Ike

Ike Senior Member

That is just beautiful.

5. BPL

BPL Senior Member

Most beautiful thing I've seen this week. Well worth every minute of sanding!

6. tunnels

tunnels Previous Member

Its a beautiful boat and you should be very proud of what you have created !!:D:p
    Keep posting PICTURES!!

7. sean-nós

sean-nós Senior Member

Thanks for the comments guy's:D

I'm just doing a dry fit to make sure everything lines up.

Don't drop please don't drop

[​IMG]

Went in fine and spot on with the shaft, boy it looks big when your sitting behind it :eek: The risers are a bit higher than the deck beams that were in the plans so I will have to make up new ones with a bigger curve, I did price some nice low risers but they are silly money.

[​IMG]

Vrummmmm Vrummmmm :D

[​IMG]

8. Collin

Collin Senior Member

Nope...doesn't look powerful enough :D

9. tunnels

tunnels Previous Member

Me id be looking at a blown plastic see through engine cover and some strip leds in the engine bay !! Yeah baby !!.

10. Oyster

Oyster Senior Member

Top of the morning to you Fergel,,, It looks like you are making great progress on your build. :) Don't you think its about time to sit inside and make funny noises? HEHE!

11. sean-nós

sean-nós Senior Member

How's it goin Oyster, what sort of child do you think I am, as if I would sit in the boat making engine sounds :rolleyes::D

12. sean-nós

sean-nós Senior Member

Some where in this plank is the dash.

[​IMG]

Just checking what parts to cut away and what to leave.

[​IMG]

This is the shape I have gone for.

[​IMG]

Sanded and drilled ready for varnish.

[​IMG]

First coat only 5 more to do but I had to have a little look with the clocks in.:D

[​IMG]

I'll leave drilling out for the switches till I'm sitting in the boat and get a feel where to put them and I think I will change the gold blase to chrome.

[​IMG]

13. sean-nós

sean-nós Senior Member

I have been doing a bit on the engine hatch trying to work out the best way to cover up the manifolds and carb.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is the shape I have come up with, I used my jumper doused in hot water to help bend the ply "very handy tools those jumpers":D

[​IMG]

To cover in the sides I got an old block of 3"x 8" hardwood not the easiest thing to cut with hand tools.

[​IMG]

I set the jigsaw at as much an angle as I can to cut off the edge and then sand the rest.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I will leave the final sanding till after I put down the mahogany planks so I can get it the right level I will also be cutting out an air vent in the front of it.

[​IMG]

It looks a bit tall but hopefully when it's planked it will blend in a bit and the vent will add to the look. "hopefully"

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  14. sean-nós

sean-nós Senior Member

Just a little update but not much to show, I fitted the dash clocks and steering.

[​IMG]

I had to get a longer shaft for the rudder to make up for the 1"1/2" of the keel and the 1/2" of ply, when it was on the donor boat it only had to go through 10mm of fiberglass and then into the stuffing box.

[​IMG]

I also temporarily connected up the water intake "there is something not right about making holes in a boat" and I have the exhausts roughly in place ready for more holes:rolleyes:

[​IMG]

15. sean-nós

sean-nós Senior Member

First test run of the engine in the boat to make sure there are no leaks before I do the planking. She still needs to be tuned in and the timing set but I'm happy enough to carry on with closing her up, the alternator belt could also do with a bit of a tighten :D

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.