Build your own wheel steering

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by catsketcher, Aug 13, 2008.

1. catsketcher

catsketcher Senior Member

Hello all

I am in the process of converting my 38 footer from tiller to wheel steering. I don't want to make a composite wheel but I would like to stay away from Edson parts for the axle and sprocket if possible.

Has anyone made their own bulkhead mounted steering system - quadrant, axle, bearings etc? Was it worth it?

cheers

Phil Thompson

2. waikikin

waikikin Senior Member

Phil, I built wheel steering for my Beach marine cat, it had a plastic bearing on the outside set into a machined alu housing, a teardrop shaped stack of ply & a flange bearing on the inside of the ply the through bolts held both bearings through the bulkhead, had about a 25mm shaft & a sprocket on the inside with lashings for tensioning the chain to the spectra cable that acted onto the link bar, was simple & cheap. All the best with it from Jeff.

3. rob denney

rob denney Senior Member

G'day,

All my boats have owner made, mostly composite steering. Works a treat, costs very little, takes a while. There are some pictures at http://www.harryproa.com/building_Vis/building_Vis_8.htm Any questions, let me know.

regards,

Rob

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.