New Boat Porpoising

Discussion in 'Powerboats' started by wheelybin, Aug 7, 2011.

1. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

See if you can get a ride in another one with the same hull, and see what the difference is, assessments of how a boat is performing are subjective.

1 person likes this.
  2. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

I think I know where Mr E is going -- , is this your first boat?

3. waikikin

waikikin Senior Member

Thanks for posting....... now I really want some muddies. Regards from Jeff.

4. wheelybin

wheelybin Junior Member

Hi,
    Yes it is my first boat, But my freind has a Qintrex and l have sent some time in it, it's the same size boat as mine, 4.75 mtrs it has a smaller motor only 70 hp Yamaha but out performs mine by heaps in all areas, We were out on the lake about a week ago cutting through 1/2 mtr wave with out an issue.

Spoke with the Rep to the night, On how they went with boat today, They are going over the same ground again, l beleave to check that they have not missed any thing, To day they put a smaller bolt on cav plate no difference put a bigger cav plate on difference, they have lifted the motor to the top hole now, As they were not happy with where it was, Also they have fitted a flat cav plate to see how it goes,
    What they did say to day was, That all the other boats have been fitted with the 60 hp motor which is only 105-110 kg and the 75 hp motors is 136 kg their is a difference of 25-26 kg between the motors.

If l put a lighter motor on, will this change the COG and eliminate the purposing

Regards Andrew.

5. whitepointer23

whitepointer23 Previous Member

get them to stick a 60 on it and see how it goes andrew. i know i would not be happy with hydrofoils and other half arsed attempts to fix it. if it is engine weight does that mean the boats with 60's porpoise if a 10 year old kid sits down the back putting the extra 25 kg's there. they are missing something obvious here and it has to be corrected properly.

6. wheelybin

wheelybin Junior Member

Hi,
    If l tuck the motor up towards full trim, then this will make it to harder to steer, And reduce my top end speed, And the motor will be laboring, when it should be purring, l don't want to drive a bull dozer on the water, once it starts porpoising you have to nearly take it all the way back to full trim, to get it to stop, the fuel tank is in the middle just past midship towards aft, 85 ltr in size. Any idears

Regards Andrew.

7. wheelybin

wheelybin Junior Member

Hi,
    Will see what they come up with tomorrow, after they do another water test, Have mentioned to them about a different size motor, They do not want to go down that path just yet, It means that they will have to give me a few $ back.

Have given them three chose
    1/ Fix problem
    2/ Total Refund
    3/ Totally new boat package

l do appreciate all the responses that l have got so far, from every body its great, thank you for so far.

Regards Andrew.

8. keysdisease

keysdisease Senior Member

Do not accept a bolt on hydrofoil as an acceptable fix. have you considered trim tabs as I mentioned?

Steve

9. wheelybin

wheelybin Junior Member

Hi,
    l have spoken about the trim tabs with the Rep to night, The rep agreed that they could do this, And that this would fix the problem, Would only do as a last resort, l Will change motor 1st, Then go down the path of the trim tabs.

Will go out in an identical boat first with different motor to see what the go is first.
    Thanks for the ideas

Regards Andrew.

10. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Sounds like your getting some where.

11. wheelybin

wheelybin Junior Member

porposing

Hi to all,
    Have made some head way, We have come to the conclusion that the boat needs to have a light motor on it about 105 - 112 kg,
    They experimented with water in the front and found that it seam to fix the issue, So they are going to find a new four stroke Suzuki lead burn DF60A hp or the new four stroke Merc 60 Hp EFI, And see how it goes.
    It should change the COG for shore, l Will have to see how much top end speed l loose.

Question: With all the issues l have had, do l just give it back or do l stay with her or get a bigger vessel would like to hear your opinions.

Regards Andrew.

12. IMP-ish

IMP-ish powerboater

It's your money so get a boat you enjoy having.

You mentioned you requested dual batteries which probably isn't standard for this boat. Did you try moving them forward under the console? Is there any other weight you can move?

13. wheelybin

wheelybin Junior Member

Hi They are going to move one of the batteries to the other side, To try and balance it out a bit, Will put a string line down the center and see if it all lines up or if the hull has a warp in it.
    Do you think that their is some thing that has been overlooked
    Regards Andrew

14. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

Hell's bells, if it has a warp in it you want your money back.

15. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

You said in your first few posts that the hull had had a straight edge (piece of wood) put on it.

This is critical its called hooked, this is a common fault of porpoising but I dismissed it as I thought you'de checked it.

It is caused by bad storage , bad trailer or a bad boat from the factory.

A hooked boat is damaged and needs a very large repair job , it should be replaced and certainly not accepted as a new boat. I think they know and re trying everything they can to make you accept it. It would be similar to accepting a car with a damaged chassis and did not drive straight.

You need to make sure 100 % of this.

I would start communicating in E mail and saving.

BrissoDamo likes this.
Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.