new Boat Design Wiki (beta)

Discussion in 'Wiki Archive' started by Jeff, Feb 21, 2007.

1. TerryKing

TerryKing On The Water SOON

Wiki Worries

This open editing is a thing that takes a little getting used to, but I believe it won't be a big problem. It may even be less of a problem than the typical quick flame-job forum entry, because it IS more 'serious' and 'professional'. We hope.
    I have 4 Wiki's running, and I haven't had any editing wars yet. But I'm not covering something highly controversial. See:
    http://living-in-tunisia.wikispaces.com/ for an example.
    This brings me to a point about THIS Wiki. I find it difficult to FIND the "Other Wikis" unless I search for them.
    WhatIf: The Main Page has links in it's "Navigation" sidebar to the various Articles?? Or, the main page can have content that discusses and organizes the various WikiSubjects and has embedded links to them..
    Jeff, what do you think???

2. TerryKing

Navigation Bar?? Show Articles / Catagories ??

-- The links on the main page work fine.. thanks!

Last edited: Mar 19, 2007
  3. SmithCraft64

SmithCraft64 Junior Member

I'm not sure that this is a good idea. It's just going to lead back to the open discussion forums. I don't mean to sound negative.I just don't think that it will work. The concept just doesn't click with me. It looks like the way it will be will take the meaning of open forum and turn it into closed discussion with some opinions accepted. I'm sorry but why change a good thing? This is a great site already why take a chance of fooking it up? Leave the discussions open to all. If you start adding a bunch of rules on what you can post your opinion on your going to discourage the very thing your trying to encourage.
    Just my thoughts.
    SmithCraft64

4. TerryKing

How to FIND the WIKI????

Am I missing something? I don't see anything on the regular forums that points at the Wiki. AT least not obviously. I have a bookmark, but I bet it would be
    more used if there was something right at the top of the forums that went to it....

5. Jeff

Jeff Moderator

A rather good point :p I've added a link now as a first step, and will continue to increase visibility as it fills out more.

--the chicken or the egg

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 2, 2012
  6. TerryKing

Looks Good!

That works well, Jeff...

7. Angélique

Angélique aka Angel (only by name)

Hi Jeff,

Maybe put a link to the wiki on top of this wiki forum or make this thread a sticky on top here as the link to the wiki is in post #1 of this thread.

Good luck..!!
    Angel

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.