New Boat Design: "Velocity"

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by OceanLinerFan, Aug 11, 2012.

1. OceanLinerFan

OceanLinerFan Junior Member

Hey guys,

I'm gonna be going to college to study naval architecture and marine engineering in a month or so. I want to ask a couple question about a design I'm trying to make. I want to eventually design and build a boat to win the Hales Trophy from the HSC Fjord Cat camataran ferry. The record stands at 41.28 knots average speed for the 3000+ mile trip eastbound (USA --> Europe). She is intended to be the world's fastest boat to ever cross the North Atlantic.

Here are the basic specs I have came up with so far for "Velocity".

Type of Boat: Planing
    Length waterline (LWL): 135 ft
    Beam at waterline (BWL): 15 ft
    Draft (normal): 5 ft
    Displacement: 159 tons (assuming a block coefficient of 0.550)
    Maximum Speed desired: 70 knots (80 mph)

Here are my questions:
    1. My power requirement to make 70 knots, according to a program called Psychosnail Boating, is 12,830 HP. I don't know if this is correct.
    2. What is the upper speed limit for my design outline?
    3. What sort of engines should I use to make my boat "Velocity" be able to attain 70 knots? My thought intially was gas turbines but I would need massive fuel tanks to hold all that fuel...perhaps diesels would be better (and I think I can get more cruising range out of 'em...)
    4. What type of hull form would best fit the speed requirement of 70 knots and would give me the best compromise for safety, reliability in rough seas, seaworthiness, etc?

That's all for now...any comments would be greatly appreciated.

2. yipster

yipster designer

What a goals! So its a cat now that holds the blue ribbon?
    Hales trophy I have to check tomorow..
    Did you check Richard Bransons attempts?
    Anyway, good to hear the race is on ;•D

3. OceanLinerFan

The Hales Trophy is an award given to any surface commercial vessel for a speed record in the eastbound direction only, because a Blue Riband attempt is reserved for the more difficult westbound journey, only possible for passenger liners. The last Blue Riband holder is the SS United States, set in 1952 at 3 days, 12 hrs, 12 min @ avg speed of 34.51 kts.

Here's a picture of the current holder of the Hales trophy: HSC Fjord Cat.
    [​IMG]

My boat "Velocity" will be built to break the existing record of this catamaran ferry. She will speed along over 70 kts to seize the record and hold it. I chose 70 kts as the speed so she could break the current holder's record as well as the absolute speed record of 53.1 knots held since 1992 by Destriero, a super-fast Italian motor yacht.

4. CutOnce

CutOnce Previous Member

I've got to say you don't lack confidence (and perhaps humility).

Projects of this scope run into millions of dollars, and the people that have that kind of money conduct pretty careful due diligence. Expect to be put under a serious microscope (and perhaps endoscope) where they will investigate you, your education, your track record and your team.

Be well prepared for some questions from the money folks:

"What's in it for me?"
    "Where's my payback?"
    "Are you prepared to give up control and become an employee that answers to an investor's group?"
    "Who pays if you fail?"

You better be incredibly good at budgeting accurately, project management and meeting milestones. Most of us develop these skills over years - advancing step by step as we learn. You've set yourself up to start your career at the top of the heap.

--
    CutOnce

5. DCockey

DCockey Senior Member

Professional Boat Builder issues 109 and 110 have a lengthy interview with Donald Blount about Destriero. Blount was the chief designer. He briefly discusses the methodology used for selecting hull form, etc. Worth ready for anyone interested in fast trans-atlantic vessels.

6. OceanLinerFan

HSC Velocity

I see what you are talking about CutOnce. Yeah the money stuff is gonna be tough. Perhaps I'm way over my head this early in the project (which I probably am). Like my friends have told me "build your credibility first before delving into these really innovative projects." Maybe that is what I should do -- put this project on hold for the moment while I study the discipline of naval architecture and come back later when I have enough exxperience to merit bringing this project to fruition. I also have a project called "Replica Britannic" which is to rebuild Titanic's sister ship as a cruise ship -- this is a project which will be "hanging in the balance" pending the outcome of Clive Palmer's Titanic II project. If you're interested about this Replica Britannic, please like my facebook page at: http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Replica-Britannic/251037945005882

7. viking north

viking north VINLAND

First things first-- you've got to successfully attain the education you require, build up the experience and reputation to attract backers, then once attracted convince them you can attain this goal. The law of averages is by that time your goal will have been attained by someone else, providing that is the world economic situation is still strong enough to give a dam about such folly. No offence but it's a cold hard world out there grasshopper.

8. Ad Hoc

Ad Hoc Naval Architect

That is just the volume for a hull of that shape.

You're going to have to do a proper weight estimate to see if this is achievable!

You'll need a minimum of 100hp/tonne, so your power estimate is low.

9. Stumble

Stumble Senior Member

Just out of curiosity what's the fuel burn at those speeds, with that type of horse power? I don't have any familiarity with engines that size, but as I sketch the numbers...

You will be burning roughly 1000gallons/hr at those speeds. At 70kn it will take you 43 hours to cross the Atlantic, equating to 43,000 gallons of fuel at a weight of 6 lbs/gallon thats 258,000lbs of diesel, or 129tonns.

If the entire allocation to weight is 159 tonnes, and you need 129tonns just in fuel, you don't have much weight there to build a structure capable of taking this type of abuse. Of course my numbers may be off (no experience with these types of engines) but if not you have your work cut out for you.

1 person likes this.
  10. Leo Lazauskas

Leo Lazauskas Senior Member

Those numbers about right for a start, Stumble.
    There is no chance of a cat doing 70 knots for any extended range.
    Surface Effect Ships are probably the only reasonable choice for that speed.

11. Ad Hoc

Ad Hoc Naval Architect

Exactly!!

A proper weight estimate is always over looked for the shiny bright coloured well pitched (sales) concept :)

12. rasorinc

rasorinc Senior Member

13. yipster

yipster designer

thats back to were the discussion sortof started from

this tread is more about new world records, blue ribbon, hales trophy and so i understood

Richard Branson who hold(s) the/some record(s) probably finds it easy'r to cross the oceans nowaday's in a rented personal spacecraft

was wondering weight too trying to translate blounts destriero who although perhaps not within the rules eighter
    seems to have made the fasted waterbourne voyage by far at 53.09 knots (98.32 km/h)

a ship on fast wheels aint a surface effect ship by defenition and can have many forms
    i like to know if there is any more reasearch done that way than here on answers?

14. WestVanHan

WestVanHan Not a Senior Member

An Ekranoplan with a few feet of a fin touching the water...or the cheap way, an old PBY Catalina and skim along the surface at 160 kmh and about a 6000 km range in flight.

Don't think the committe would like that though

15. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

Just make sure you keep an eye out for Stoned Pirate as he attempts to sail around the world in a bathtub. These ideas show spirit and ambition, but please, don't tell me you have any serious intent to follow through, this side of making your first billion.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.