New boat design needed

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by stuteeblue, Jan 11, 2009.

1. stuteeblue

stuteeblue New Member

Hi...I am new on here but an experienced strip plank & stich/tape builder.I need a desiner or design programme as I want to develop a 16' or so strip plank canoe style fast(ish) river launch powered by a Min Kota electric outboard.Looking to build with a narrow beam (say 30-32") and a low etted area but as stable as a canadian canoe...kind of in the style of the African river launches/canoes...anyone can do this or offer advice?...there is a real shortage of light electric boats in the UK for reservoir/lake/river use so will be good to dvelop this area

2. robherc

robherc Designer/Hobbyist

hmmm, if you want it to be "very stable" have you considered building 1 or 2 outriggers? Theyr'e the easiest way to add stability without sacrificing speed, and small ones can always be lifted out of the way for close-in work. ;)

I don't have much experience with canoe design, but if you'd like I could draw you up some patterns...if nobody else wants to field this one. :)

3. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Nothing that Minn Kota offers will get you any real speed. Yes, you'll need a designer for this set of convoluted concessions in compromise, as the issues will be interesting to say the least and will require considerable expertise to sort out.

4. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

I had a canoe that was 1m wide and 5m long, indian type canoe, slightly larger than your dimensions. I won't recomend the african hollow tree stump though made by a person that has an ave IQ of 60, unless you have oval trees there :D

Speed is a relative, as Par says you won't get real speed out of it.

What is everyone fiddling with such small boats for ? Why don't you look at something similar to a hobie cat's hulls, same or better speed from your min cota and if you make it 1m500 or wider you could have a bit of stability too.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.