New boat building factory

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by aymanisamana, Jun 14, 2013.

1. aymanisamana

aymanisamana Junior Member

Hi all
    I need help to start my boat building factory in a country that doesn't have even one.
    My name is ayman and I found in 2003 that I should been building boats than to be an electrical engineer but its too late..

I have managed to establish a wooden workshop, small factory if you call it last year and now I gave up my old job after succeeding in my wooden works as custom offices, doors, kitchens, just name it in wood and Ill do it. My shop is worth now about a million USD and growing fast. I have more than 20 carpenters and painters Italian SCM machines of the biggest sizes manufactured

I want to build boats mainly wooden-epoxy and fibre glass.

I need a leader..

I can get boat builders but I need a master man

Thanks,
    Ayman

2. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

What kind of boats are you looking to build?

3. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

I am curious how you figure that you could have made more money out of boat building than engineering ?

Last edited: Jun 15, 2013
  4. tunnels

tunnels Previous Member

WOW Tempting ?? . glass boats is my thing ,wood is out and am allergic to some of the woods so gave it away ages ago !! Pretty close to all those strange places as well !!

5. aymanisamana

I am planning to build all types of boats; small boats to yachts (15 ft-90 ft)

A boat builder here gets a salary about 650 USD.
    Wood prices; Mahogany for example is 700USD per cubic meter for example.
    All machinery and labor for boat building in wood/epoxy I have available at my current workshop and above all we are TAX FREE in the Arabian Gulf.

There are too many homes on the beach but no new yachts. Most of them are 15 year old and imported.

The only thing we don’t have here is west system, but available in Dubai some 500 miles away and yet I am planning to take the dealership of west system and others..

please feel free to ask ...

6. tomas

tomas Senior Member

ayman, it's exciting to read that you will be the first in your country to do this.
    I wish you much success.

Are you an experienced sailor?

7. aymanisamana

Thanks Tomas

And no, I am not an experienced sailor. How did you know that I am into sailing! I love sail boats and that's why I want to do boats although the market here is for motor boats.. Due to low gasoline and desile very low cost such as 95 octan gasoline is priced at 7.5 L per 1USD or 2 gallons per dollar!

I have worked before with a designer from this site and we developed a motor boat design last year that will do many but I still go back to sail boats. I will try to post my design cuz I don't know how to post it now, here..

8. aymanisamana

This is one of my designs

This is one of my designs with help

Attached Files:

9. Multihullscz

Multihullscz Junior Member

It would be interesting, to set up a first boat factory in Bahrain. But it has probably some reason that there is no one.

What is the climate in Bahrain? If there is more than 25-30 C you have real problem with working with epoxy resin.

Economical, legal problems?? No idea, I don´t live in Bahrain.
    Is is complicated to import boat to Bahrain?

Do you want to build under license, or buy plans or pay designer?
    Do you want to build exclusive yachts, sailing, motor, multihulls?

It is an interesting idea, but many questions needed to be answered...

I`m master in Czech company building multihull boats and must say that
    building boats is for people that love building boats. If you want to earn money, there are many better ways...

10. aymanisamana

I love this

Attached Files:

11. aymanisamana

Thanks Multihullscz

I am living in Bahrain but I drive to Saudi Arabia on the bridge over the sea every day. My workshop is next to the bridge too.

I don't have problem climate & epoxy and I am using 209 west system which handle that in shade. I used it many times before ..

No, imported boats to any gulf country's "GCC = Saudi - Dubai - Bahrain are all tax 5%" but if its made in any of the 6 country's it's free zone.

Both, under license and from designer, a plan is needed ..!
    And yes all type of boat will be made and based on orders except for the moving type for the market and perhaps a signature design every time and then.

Please feel free to ask any questions you like...

I know, boat building could sometimes not make money or good profit and that's why I started a wooden workshop to support this idea of boat building and lower cost by working for me and getting low prices for wood and so on and forth.
    The area is Retch and virgin for boats and I mean new local made boats. My idea to put the market into boats and what help me is the magic of wood that will attract eyes. Not fibre glass! Low frequency !

12. Multihullscz

Multihullscz Junior Member

I´m Petr ;)
    I have four years experience in designing ,building composite boats, managing people etc. Unfortunately I have very little experience with wooden boats. So I can´t help you.
    On http://www.multihulls.cz you can find some of my design work. So if needed to design some boat parts, boat etc, feel free to ask.
    Once again. I really like the idea of creating new boat factory so I wish you good luck!!

13. aymanisamana

Many thanks to you Peter

And I will keep you in my mind for designs...

I think I need someone who's ultra experience in boat industry. Somehow 20+ years of experience and over 40 years old.

That's my basics plan and start...

Many thanks to you Peter and All...

14. Petros

Petros Senior Member

If you already have a successful wood working business, you perhaps should approach it the same way: only build to order custom boats. You might actually be profitable doing it, and you would not be heavily invested in production tooling in to one or two models.

Sounds like you have a good plan, and I am sure everyone wants to see you succeed, but realize that many boat building businesses fail even if affluent countries. So approach it cautiously knowing that costs can spiral out of control very quickly, especially on a larger yacht. Start slow by building perhaps a small boat for yourself (one that you can afford) to give you a feel for process, labor and costs, and than only take on one at a time start with smaller designs (build tenders or smaller pleasure boats first), and than move on to the larger yachts as you learn more.

Good luck.

15. tunnels

tunnels Previous Member

I completely agree with PETROS and what hes just written .
    If its wooden boats you interested in then make mass produce wooden boats ,patterns can be made for most everything .Frames can be set up to build over and with some thinking you could produce quite a few wooden boats very quickly . Smaller boats can be popped out one after the other !BUT it has to be planned for !! no use having a complicated design .
    That's why Fibreglass is so popular because anyone can make a glass boat its easy its faster to make and you don't really need to many skills like building wooden boats .

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.