Substitute for bleeder / breather

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by FirstLight, Oct 27, 2007.

1. FirstLight

FirstLight Junior Member

Living in the sticks has several advantages. None of which are related to being close to boatbuilding supplies and material.

Looking through the inventory this morning I noticed that I am out of bleeder/breather and was hoping to do a few layup today.

Anyone ever substituted anything successfully in this arena..???

2. KnottyBuoyz

KnottyBuoyz Provocateur & Raconteur

I found some materials at the local sewing/fabric store that work relatively well. The nylon inner liner material used in coats & such works well as a peel ply and their polyester fiber fill (insulation) batts works well as a bleeder material. Neither are cheap but work in a pinch when you run out of the real stuff. I suggest getting some small samples and trying them with your resins before you risk a part. The nylon inner liner is harder to pull off than a properly treated peelply.

3. Composite-aero

Composite-aero New Member

bagging materials

I have some in my ebay store composite-aero

4. FirstLight

FirstLight Junior Member

Burlap

OK... Wound up using burlap that worked great! Absorbed all resin. Worked well.. Obviously the peel ply kept the burlal from getting laminated in..

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.