New bi-rig performance cruiser

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by Nordic Cat, Feb 6, 2008.

1. multihullsailor

multihullsailor Junior Member

Alan,

Either paint the end of the booms red (doesn't show blood marks of your unfortunate crew)
    or
    scare the hell out of your crew before gybing! Tell them they will pay for any damage to the boom ends!

And if you're single-handing, well ... you're footing the bill anyway! You have been warned!

Planning to take the Schinning bi-rig cat on Wednesday double-handed from Simonstown around Cape of Good Hope to Cape Town (forecast is for a nice south easter) and then on the weekend to race from Cape Town to Langebaan. Should be fun.:p

Regards
    Roger

2. multihullsailor

Alan,

Don't know how you feel about the gas (for cooking) issue on board but, as I have stated in another thread, I do not want gas on board :mad: and will be going with a diesel cooker by Wallas or Webasto which can also double up as a cabin heater. Just another thought.

Regards
    Roger

3. yipster

yipster designer

exellent but pricy thought multihullsailor that needs a chimney too why not a gaz bottle on the wing?

4. multihullsailor

Hi Yipster,

Yes I believe the diesel cookers need extra ventilation, though have been led to believe the new versions require less "monstrosity" chimneys, I'm sure well designed from the start should work ok. And I do like the Wallas ceramic glass top! But apart from that, for me safety first and then aestetics and windage - no gas for me, thank you! Even with a bottle on the wing you still have the possibility of gas in the hull leaking at the cooker itself.

Regards
    Roger

5. yipster

yipster designer

your right the chimney went nicely out sideways, glass top looked and worked good before it got nicked
    hi nordic, a allternative for your freestanding rig ;-P [​IMG]

6. Nordic Cat

Nordic Cat Senior Member

Some people here in our club have tried them, and all have reverted to either gas or kerosene again, issues with plugged nozzles, soot etc. The concept sounds great, but when at least 3 people give me the same message, I start taking it seriously.

I looked at this closely, but at the end of the day, I'm going with the gas. Gas locker is over the bridgedeck and drains directly out at the bottom. Gas line will be copper pipe up to an inside shutoff valve. Bubble style leak detector at the bottle end. Gas alarm in each hull, as propane is heavier than air.

Alternative could be electrical, but this means running an engine. I am considering a 230VAC microwave though.

I want a Mikuni air based heater - have had one for 7-8 years in my present boat, never had to touch it, just switch it on. It's quiter than the others also.

Cheers

Alan

7. Nordic Cat

Nordic Cat Senior Member

Hi Yipster,

Interesting cocncept, I think it is from one of Marchajs' books. The flat panel on top of the mast was something I considered, to minimise tip vortices.
    Solid wings are just not doable for a larger rig, but there are some interesting softsail concepts around

I have some ideas I would like to try out on the next boat I design, but first want to get this one sailing and optimised. A couple of the ideas are a bit "wacky" but I have done the calculations, and am pretty confident that it will work. Old Mr.Bernoulli comes in very handy sometimes....

Correction: I first need to design a folding catamaran dinghy, as a tender for this design. Will probably start a thread on it when I have some sketches.

Regards

Alan

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.