new bayliner vs. used boat of another brand

Discussion in 'Powerboats' started by rast3r, Feb 8, 2005.

1. rast3r

rast3r New Member

so, this seems to be the age-old bayliner question (or it has been for as long as i've been into boats). after my friend and i got rid of our previous, '89 bayliner with that horrid force outboard, we swore ourselves off bayliner for good. but now that we're looking at boats again, the question keeps coming up, why should we spend $12k on a 3yo used sea ray, crownline, aka, a boat made by a more respected builder, when for the same price, we can get a brand-spanking new bayliner 185? i know people like to dump on bayliner, but are they so bad that a 3yo boat of a competetor (after the previous owner(s) did god-knows-what to it) is still better than a brand new bayliner?

also, keeping in mind that we'd like to slip the boat during the summer months, if even a quarter the stereotypes of bayliner are even close to being true, this could be trouble?

yeah, so we'd love to hear any advice anyone would like to offer, thanks-

2. You get the same engine and out drive as a boat 3 times the price. The hulls are not splitting more than boats 3 times the price. Any other complaints are very bad luck or owners who beat the cra_ out of it and complain about quality. Those owners sure are of no QUALITY themselves. Usually the boats give back the way they are treated. Garbage in : garbage out. ALWAYS BUY NEW if you can do it. Letting it rain on a uncovered dash is asking for problems. Things like that make a good or bad boat. Buy new and no jerks get to run the boat. Works every time. :) :) OH read ALL the booklets that come with a new boat, and DO what they say. :)

3. woodboat

woodboat Senior Member

I on the other hand always buy used. First off the biggest dollar hit is the first year. Secondly it is possible to have bugs. They will play out in the first year. My neighbow bought a brand new 33 rinker fiesta V. He has numerous electrical problems but all stemming from a charging problem. Apparently all power went through the dock charger including the alternator. On long voyages with no Generator running the batteries would die. So a mechanic had to change the wiring. Additionally the A/C died after two years and the shower pump quit. Two or three years of usage should show you exactly where problems are. Also I judge a boats quality by how many are stil in operation after a few years. My last boat, a 28Ft marinette, seems extremly durable. They haven't been made since 1989 yet there are three in my little creek. Also on yachtworld they still fetch a good price. http://www.yachtworld.com/core/list...r=&toYear=&currencyid=100&fromPrice=&toPrice= Not a single one is under $10,000, heck there is a 1973 for $20,000. I think that is more than when purchased new. Anyone remeber the cutter/houseboat that was transatlantic? Well I remeber them being extremly popular. Where are they now? I haven't seen one in ten years. http://powerboatlistings.com/view/1720 So I always choose an older well built boat over a new inexpensive boat. Just make sure you know what you are looking for and possibly get a good survey unless the price is so right it doesn't matter. My current boat has plenty wrong but I got a decent price on it.

4. FAST FRED

FAST FRED Senior Member

It is always far wiser to let someone else EAT the first year depreciation.

With a factory markup of about 20% and the dealer getting another 25% , none of those comissions are found in the Value of the used boat.

Buy it new , go for a ride and loose 25 to 40%?

No thanks,

Quality boats will depreciate far less after the first blush of about 4 years is over.

There are lots of TOP QUALITY boats that can be had for a tiny "round trip" , the difference in price between what you pais , and later sell her for.

Bertrams anyone?

FAST FRED

5. I normally buy new everything. Only 1 time did I get a real lemon purchase. 74 Chevy fastback 6 cyl. Pure cra_. Sold it 9 mo. later. Used was always some upfront problems.

6. TrendSetter

TrendSetter Fume Huffer

How long do you plan on owning this boat? how much experince do you have with boats and fixing little things? how comfortable are you doing that? If you could swing a 12k 19' sea ray thats only 2-3 years old I would take that as they are a little nicer and better quality. Now if your just gonna buy a run about and keep it for a few years and flip it after that.. be warned the resale value isnt as good. With new you get a warrenty, and you have dealer support from new this is a good thing. Buying only 203 years old normally anymore has a transferable warrenty. Both boats will be powered buy a Merc stern drive. Its your call if your happy with a Bayliner in the end i woudl go that route... If it were my 12k I would look at sea ray four winns and the like and try and find the cleanest newest used one you could find and be done

7. mackid068

mackid068 Semi-Newbie Posts Often

Bayliner?

Go with the used boat. Think about it. A used boat has held up for X years and is probably, if in good condition or if you are a handy person, able to hold up another few years.

8. steigermike

steigermike Junior Member

hi rast the old saying is you get what you pay for there is absolutely a difference between a bayliner and a grady,steigercraft,mako and other well made crafts i know this for a fact just from drilling a hole for a raw water washdown in a a bayliner trophy for a fishing buddy of mine. the location was in the same spot as where i installed one on my steigercraft and i can tell you my hull was twice as thick.

9. Roger1969

Roger1969 New Member

In 1993, I purchased a 1985 23 foot Tiara for $9500. I used it for 8 years, bought a $2500.00 tandem axle trailer for it, maintained it, which was change the oil in the engine and outdrive, put several hundred hours on it, never had a problem, put $1500 in miscelleneous detailing work and sold it for $12,000. I say, buy a better quality older boat, they dont have the problems and are easy to sell and I have always got my money out of them

10. SeaBuzz

SeaBuzz Junior Member

Bayliner

No big deal, a 19 ft Bayliner or Searay. The beam and weight will make the differents. If you are thinking about a bigger boat then think about it. I would not owen a Bayline over 20ft. nor a Crown, Maxmun, Polairs.
    What are you doing with this boat???

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.