Don B, Modesto, Ca.

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by five star, Aug 31, 2006.

1. five star

five star New Member

I own a small (27ft.) home made house boat, I need to replace the front and back decks. They are made with 3/4" marine plywood and I want to lighten the flooring. Also the railings are of steel and I want to replace with a lighter material. Any suggestions??

Thanks

2. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

Sandwich panels, perhaps foam-cored fibreglass, could be an attractive option for lighter decks. Although weight isn't usually too critical on houseboats...
    As for rails, if steel is too heavy you could try aluminum, or do as the sailing yachts do and use rope rails with metal stanchions.

3. five star

five star New Member

Matt, I appreciate your suggestions, I am a NEW owner and no very little about this. However my boat is too heavy now(sets too low in the water, waves comes over the bow. It is a fully self contained unit as such it is already pretty heavy. Your idea on the decking sounds good. Is there any other options I could use on the railings?

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.