Australian Taxation Office

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by netjaws, Apr 17, 2010.

1. netjaws

netjaws Junior Member

Anyone out in Australia care to regale us with a 'real world' opinion on the system of taxation in Australia?

What I've been able to gather from research online is that the income tax rate for 2009-2010 is as follows:

12.4% - 22.5% for 34,001 - 80,000 $A
    22.5% - 32.2% for 80,001 - 180,000 $A
    32.2% - 45% for 180,001 $A and over

... with 1 $A worth approximately 0.93 $US

I'm particularly interested in this from the aspect of small business. Comments on peripheral government costs (vehicle registration, etc) are also welcome.

2. SheetWise

SheetWise All Beach -- No Water.

From the small business standpoint -- you want to expense as much as you can. The trick is is to live as well as possible, make no profit, and have no earnings ;)

It's much better if this can be arranged by making decisions, as opposed to simply because it is true.

3. waikikin

waikikin Senior Member

Hi Netjaws, It's the price you pay for civilisation!,
    although I still am in business, a couple of years ago I had to get an ordinary job. There's plenty of state & local council taxes too, for example my house hold council rates are around $1400 PA, Factory rates $5300 PA plus availibility of sewer & water & electricity, over a certain land value there's state land tax on non own residence property, we have a federal goods & services tax too at +10 percent or 1/11 of sales- with this input costs of gst for business costs is credited against the gst on sales.
    All the best with your plans from Jeff.

4. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

When you fire bureaucrats taxes go down. We are not so successful in accomplishing that here, but we still keep trying. It is like being caught in a maelstrom. Good luck.

5. Landlubber

Landlubber Senior Member

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.