New antifoul discovery - 100% effective AND green

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by brian eiland, May 16, 2009.

1. Boston

Boston Previous Member

yah I'm not so sure grease is exactly legal in most places, or at least not as antifouling

two things i've always thought might help. One would be to occasionally electrify the underside of the boat with an alternating current. If a conductive grid where present under the paint, and that paint not an insulator, then a fairly strong current every once in a while might just put a dent in the growth process. Anyone ever try that ? or something like it, maybe a sponge or brush thats got a couple of leads and fries the little darlings as you move it over the underside of the hull ?

another I though of was if your in predominantly salt water and your growth is barnacles and sea weeds, then wouldn't you kill off most of it by simply moving up a freshwater river a few miles and let the fresh water kill off the stuff. Making more easily removed ?

2. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Grease works --it is not illegal-- the barnacles do not grow on grease.

3. whitepointer23

whitepointer23 Previous Member

you can buy electric antifouling kits, don't know if they work or not.

4. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Infact its old technology, works well but usually for larger vessels.

5. Silver Raven

Silver Raven Senior Member

Gooday 'pipe' & others - What is it about this subject - that I don't understand.

Read post # 1 1 4 What's up with the difficulty here. Steal mom's 'teflon' ironing spray - 4 coats - let dry - 2 years - no barnies.
    Use teflon - silicon, etc, lots of new (only been out for the last 40 years) stuff on the market & cheep as chips (or horse, pig, roo, wallaby - see cooking section) easy-peasy - user friendly. Electric systems would cost more in 1 year than I've spent in the last 25 years.

Ciao & go eat good food complete with 'sundowners' X 6 (kiwi speak), james

6. sdowney717

sdowney717 Senior Member

if thinking of grease use a lithium based grease. Lithium greases are not easily washed away with water. Something like a sticky marine axle grease designed for trailer bearings.

1 person likes this.
  7. powerabout

powerabout Senior Member

as long as it doesnt leave any trace you can see in the water

8. brian eiland

brian eiland Senior Member

Interesting, thanks for that Silver Raven

I just heard a bit on the radio about this super slippery product called LiquiGlide.
    http://www.liqui-glide.com/

Wonder if we can find some uses for this in our marine world?

Just noticed this:
    Q: Can the coating be put on anything else?

A: We’ve been able to put it on just about everything we’ve tried so far: glass, plastic, metal, ceramic…

9. brian eiland

LiquiGlide

Created at MIT with their help

A research group at MIT has developed LiquiGlide, a slippery, non-toxic coating that makes sure every last drop of any condiment flows right ...

http://www.gizmag.com/liquiglide-coating/22660/

10. brian eiland

Antifouling Technology, based on Shark's Skin

This subject came up back on page 6 of this subject thread, but never generated a lot of discussion. I'mn on their mailing list and keep getting press releases, but not many relating to marine use. Seems the medical field is a much more viable market....dollar wise.

But we should keep track of this technology,....could be a real game changer for pleasure boats.

I mentioned this over on another subject thread, but got very little responce. Hopefully the pleasure boater will benefit from this technology real soon?

Sharklet? Marine | Sharklet

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.