New antifoul discovery - 100% effective AND green

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by brian eiland, May 16, 2009.

1. Boston

Boston Previous Member

and yet were told its completely safe to cook on?

thats perfect

B

2. pamarine

pamarine Marine Electrician

Um, not sure I know anybody that has ever made TBT Cookware.

3. Boston

Boston Previous Member

maybe I missed the abbreviation, Mass was talking Teflon

4. FAST FRED

FAST FRED Senior Member

Back in the 70's ther was a product from BF Goodrich called No Foul.

It was like 3/16 or 1/4 inch scuba divers wet suit material , epoxied to the hull.

10 Year guarentee , only problem was the active material was Mercury, and the tree eaters didn't like that very much.

I believe it still exists , for submarines , guess the Navy's of the world would rather stay alive than not.

FF

5. boat fan

boat fan Senior Member

Damn.....I`ve just crapped myself laughing.......:D Have some crappy points Boston :D

6. masalai

masalai masalai

My black water tank has that capacity, but production is so small I cannot even sustain a small pilot light to burn off the smell:D:eek: - - - but had ti install an anti-flash-back-device, as tank explosion is not a pleasant event...

7. brian eiland

brian eiland Senior Member

No-Foul

Actually that material No-Foul was developed for use on the submarine sonar domes, and as such metal based antifoulatants were discouraged. It was the organic TBTF (antifouling agent, tributyltin fluoride) agent that was impregnated into the elastic rubber material. It worked.

Hey Fred, I just discovered we had this discussion before:
    http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/propulsion/new-propulsion-sytems-ships-9630-19.html#post127133
    Maybe some of those impregnated materials were metallic...sure would surprise me.

8. boat fan

boat fan Senior Member

Kevlar Scatter Cage Mas........

9. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

Even that doesn't protect it from cookie-cutter sharks, which have a nasty habit of attacking the leading end of anything they might find delectable.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cookiecutter_shark

10. jonr

jonr Senior Member

What happened to arc sprayed copper or zinc? Supposedly can be applied to anything (doesn't heat the surface significantly) and is fine for the environment.

11. brian eiland

brian eiland Senior Member

Water Based Antifoul Paints

Since the fall of '07, this writer and her husband's boat has been part of a bottom paint study to test the efficacy of the biocide Econea, an eco-friendly product produced by Janssen Pharmaceutica and sold to different paint companies. Three paints were applied to the bottom of our Crealock 37 — one control paint containing 67% copper, one solvent-based test paint and one water-based test paint. After a year, the water-based paint, in our opinion as boat owners, was not only the best among the three, but the best paint we'd ever used. There was zero hard growth on all three — which made them equally 'successful' in the eye of study coordinator Jack Hickey, as that is the study's primary focus — but the water-based paint had very little slime or grass. The other two were mini-ecosystems unto their own

...photos and more of the article here:
    http://www.latitude38.com/lectronic/lectronicday.lasso?date=2010-12-10&dayid=515#Story4

12. Boston

Boston Previous Member

thats pretty slick Brian

thanks

13. FAST FRED

FAST FRED Senior Member

"They dissappeared and now someone is selling as if they were new. I wonder what happened to the old units and how well they worked.",

About as well as magnets stuck on the fuel line , to kill alge and get 45% better fuel mileage.

FF

14. michael pierzga

michael pierzga Senior Member

Imagine introducing BIOCIDE into the ecosystem !..Heavy metals are bad enough...what was the Biocide ? Top secret.

15. sdowney717

sdowney717 Senior Member

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.