new and for sale: electric hydrofoil

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by yipster, May 17, 2012.

1. BATAAN

BATAAN Senior Member

Yah, R&D is an expensive *****, but it's not fair to make the customer pay for it by presenting something that is not a mature product. Make it go first, then show it going, then sell it.

2. taniwha

taniwha Senior Member

CAE Marine in South Africa actually did a trial a couple of years ago with a Torqeedo Cruise 4.0 it did unfortunately not go on the plane, the main reason is that we could not afford the light Lithium Manganese battery powerpack so we had to stick with truck batteries, otherwise I am convinced we would have made it. Have a look at what we reached with an old 15 hp.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzkUdLuA8mc

3. yipster

yipster designer

Like to see that video but content owner has made it non viewable on mobile phones while I just switched pc off. Seems we all agree so far :eek:
    edit: have to say now i look at taniwha's u-tube link above that its not electric nor foil borne, reasoning on the electric power stands tho

4. DCockey

DCockey Senior Member

Same for me. The folks who have surprised me have figured out what is needed to make their idea work and then found people with the knowledge and expertise needed who are willing to help.

I used to manage product engineering for new automobiles and worked very closely with "designers". My standard direction to the engineers when confronted with an idea from the designers was "Tell me what it will take to make it work and the implications, no matter how extreme, not why it won't work." This lead to far better discussions with the designers and their management, and ultimately to better designs. And more than once the engineers surprised themselves with what they were able to make work.

It depends how much disclosure of the current state and risks there has been to those making the deposits.

5. Collin

Collin Senior Member

They have a working prototype?

6. taniwha

taniwha Senior Member

7. yipster

yipster designer

thx taniwha, another foilers first test and yes thats wow

8. Jeremy Harris

Jeremy Harris Senior Member

Interesting that they say in the article that it's powered by a four stroke Rotax 912, yet in that video it's clearly fitted with an air cooled two stroke Rotax, probably a 503, which is around 50 hp, rather than the 80 hp of the 912. Maybe they went for a cheap and light two stroke for testing, but have had to switch to a four stroke for production to meet emissions regs.

The 912 has a good reputation for reliability, as it's now used in thousands of microlights and very light aircraft around the world.

9. DCockey

DCockey Senior Member

The Wfoil 18 Albatros reminds me of Alexander Graham Bell's HD-4 of 1918which is on display at the museum in Baddeck, Nova Scotia.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.