New Age Trawler/Motorsailer; Kite assisted PowerYacht

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by brian eiland, Nov 20, 2007.

1. brian eiland

brian eiland Senior Member

I just looked back at that video myself....WOW that boat in the video is really booking :eek::cool:

2. brian eiland

Wow, I didn't even realize it had been 5 years since I first posted this subject thread....I guess the years are catching up :rolleyes:;)

3. Red Dwarf

Red Dwarf Senior Member

4. kach22i

kach22i Architect

Concept:
    [​IMG]

5. kach22i

kach22i Architect

6. mark424x

mark424x Junior Member

Pretty, but how long until you are sailing backwards? Gotta have the kite pulling from the front or perhaps at the center of lateral resistance?

7. kach22i

kach22i Architect

I don't know much about that design concept, but the long pointy bow may have the sail/kite attachment at the center of mass or at least buoyancy.

I will have to check this thread and see if that is a good or bad thing.

Thinking about it though, I would not want to plough in the bow, so perhaps the pull point should be aft of the C of G.

8. nimblemotors

nimblemotors Senior Member

ugly looking boat. :eek:

kites don't really work for a boat as replacement for sails.

9. brian eiland

I agree, that is an ugly boat.

I don't agree that kites will not be useful for boats. They have certainly done a powerful job replacing sails on windsurfers.

Let progress continue, and we will see what happens. I'm betting if fuel prices continue to rise, innovation will proceed. Perhaps you should read back thru this subject thread, and view some of the referenced sites.

10. brian eiland

11. nimblemotors

nimblemotors Senior Member

I have read through all the pages on this topic. The only conclusion is that it doesn't really work. Five years is more than enough time to work out the practical issues, so unless some new tactic/breakthrough occurs,
    I don't see it being useful, which is unfortunate as I want to use one
    with my power boat. Simple parachute for downwind instead seems ok.

Kites work well for wind surfing because they can pull you into the air, which makes for a nice thrill/show and good test of skill and strength as a sport, but not useful for practical propulsion.

12. kach22i

kach22i Architect

Sounds like kites could lower the wetted area of the hull on smaller craft thereby reducing water drag.

That yacht I posted is ugly, but interesting and the designer has a talent with interiors in my opinion.

http://www.yankodesign.com/2012/03/14/a-timeless-yacht-design/
    [​IMG]

13. Herr Kaleun

Herr Kaleun Junior Member

About 20 years ago, I hooked up a rudimentary parawing style kite to a trike land yacht. We had no speedo, but it rocketed along and we ultimately crashed [our brakes were very crude] the contraption nearly dragged us over a cliff!!!

But it proved the tech. Back then I was musing over whether this would work on the water. Now there are many discerning yachtsman/economists/eco-warriors [like myself] who are actively researching this method of renewable propulsion. Kite surfing has taken off big time, my best friend is active in this sport and he and I have thought about hooking it up to my canoe for a laugh.

But being an amateur designer, who is particularly interested in minimising my use of fossil fuels and capitalising upon free energy this form of propulsion is now one of my major considerations [...along with hybrid engine systems, fuel cells, solar-kinetic sails(SKS), free standing sails and streamlined multihull designs, to name just a few of the tech I am researching...]

But like with KiteGen, we need to tap into the higher airstreams, which are more stable, particularly in their intensity and direction.

Regarding the ins and outs of what kinds of vessels would benefit from this tech, let us not forget the maxim that 'Every Little Helps'. Even rich superyacht owners have got where they are by being careful with their money [lotto winners excepted...], so if their course happens to coincide with an ideal airstream direction, then they will benefit. Just as you would benefit from fitting solar panels to - well anything, but especially your roof.;) Obvious winners will be the cruising fraternity and maybe the scientific research community. Commercially, if the systems are large enough [as I believe is now the case...], freighters and their companies will benefit. In concert with other energy saving systems it can only lead to benefits for all.

So great thread Bri, will keep a weather eye on this...

:idea: What about making the kite out of solar pv fabric [like my SKS system], then it could generate at the same time...

14. Herr Kaleun

Minimalistic but NICE...

Love the concept pics [Kach22], though again the kite needs to be higher, that yacht is reminiscent of a viking longship to me.

15. Herr Kaleun

Disagree with that [nimblemotors]. You are assuming that the kite will be used at the same altitude as that of the surfers. To work efficiently it will have to be streamed higher as I mentioned in my thread. And would be an augment or replacement for the spinnaker even... Afterall, the square sails on windjammers and the stun'sls [or studdingsails]are more or less kites are they not?

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.