New 3D Lighting Style - SY Bristolian

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by urbanvoyage, Sep 20, 2007.

1. urbanvoyage

urbanvoyage Junior Member

Hi Guys,

We've been working on some new renderings of the super yacht Bristolian. Feedback and comments welcome! :)

Regards,
    Rich

Attached Files:

2. DanishBagger

DanishBagger Never Again

I am no naval architect, but howsabout som handrails on that thing? It could be some sort of lip or something to fit the design. I am aware, that everything is probably hydraulic, but a hand rail is always nice.

What's with the mainsheet-"fin"? Wont it be prone to breaking and/or leaking?

It looks nice, though.

3. yades

yades Senior Member

cool !......

smart and unconventional coachroof and deck lay out design.
    on the profile it seems somewhat abaft the position of the feen keel + bulb as with respect to the general lateral plane of the canoe body and the mast position, suggesting a need of further detailed investigation on the lead value and the sail plan of the vessel.
    The forward view rendering gives the impression of an extremely fine bow entry which appears to be dissimilar to the plan view presented in your gallery...but perhaps that's just an impression....would be nice to see the G.A, of the vsl to visualize the interior arrangements mostly on the forward sid eof the yacht

Would be nice to see further developments on the yacht.....

brgds

yades:cool:

I like v.m. the deck lay out....

4. CarlosSan

CarlosSan New Member

Hello everybodey.

Yacht looks real and very nice, I like it. No fence but image is a bit too panoramic I think, left side of photo at least. Are the shadows realy so dark in reality at the dark side of boat? I mean the bottom of the picture.

5. nukejr

nukejr frmr Nuke Submariner

Amazing!!!

This might not be the type of feed back that you are looking for (lack of technical input), but this is one of the most beautiful boats that I have ever seen. I went to the urbanvoyage web site and viewed the interior pics as well. It is simply a dream. If this boat is ever put into production, I want to go see it, where ever it is.

6. urbanvoyage

Hi DanishBagger,

You're right, there's still many details to add! :) We will be working on more aspects soon and will post an update when ready.

Cheers,
    Rich

7. urbanvoyage

Hi Yades,

We are not the naval architects so I can't really respond to the design points. However I do think she's quite innovative and will sit really nice on the water with a beautiful profile. We'll be adding the sail plan soon and will post an update for you to check out!

Regards,
    Rich

8. urbanvoyage

Hi CarlosSan,

Really appreciate your feedback. She is well into construction now with a planned launch date of March 09. It's amazing to see our 3D renderings coming to life and it gives the owner/yard a great tool to try new ideas. :)

Cheers.
    Rich

P.S. I'll let everyone know when the website goes live - it will have the history and latest construction photos.

9. kerosene

kerosene Senior Member

Not commenting the design here - just the render - not sure if thats what you wanted... but hey I have a day off so I have to give comments on somebody's renders. :)

1st - obviously really neat image. The overcast sky tone and the sun color work great together. Do you use mental ray?

- sea texture looks off scale to me. Being so sharp and crisp it feels like the waves have a look of bigger ones with dimension of smaller ripple.
    - the guys look a little floaty - when you see the feet on the deck and cockpit floor you would expect some kind of reflection or shadow to convince us of the contact.
    -one dude has uber tanned legs but otherwise looks geeky pale
    -I assume the hatch to go under is not fully detailed yet.

Design wise I think its pretty cool - I am not super fond of the steering pods but they definitely give original character. Other angles might help.
    The thinnest spot of the pods (mid couch) would worry me. Somehow it looks like it is not nicely flowing form (think italian*) but not a disciplined well defined crease either (think german*). Don't know if that makes sense - a lot of commentary on one crease :)

Another area that would worry me is the cabin's roof on the sides. Where the front/side windows rim it. I think the windows look very cool and especially on some other angle the continuous clean and sleek surface can be very nice.
    now however the roof itself seems to be just a not so defined bubble. This angle might not do justice for it but I would tend to suggest giving it some kind of tighter line flowing through it to split the reflections. Makes sense?
    Its just that soft non-defined shapes have to be spot on or they start to look like cheap OEM designs.
    Also big surface like the roof can look fat/loose/lack of posture when there is nothing to break it.

Obviously my comments are highly subjective and I think the boat is, as is, already a very cool looking design. I wouldn't bother commenting otherwise.

Heikki

* What Italian design and German design is generally perceived to be. I think Italian mid-end stuff has gone to crappers since the past decades.

edit: ended up commenting the design too :)

10. Fair1

Fair1 Junior Member

Nice work Richard.

I agree with Kerosene on the crits to the rendering. The water looks slightly out of scale although extremely real looking, I am envious. The people really look out of place, no shadows from them bad lighting etc. Other than that though its very beautiful, maybe we can get an overall shot next round eh?

The actual design looks rather nice. The pods in front of the helm wheels are pretty cool I think. I would love to see more!

(edit after looking at the old renderings) So I looked at the previous lighting set up and I say this looks one is more realistic.....Is it just the camera view or is it a new lighting setup? Maybe its the fact I can see the hdr reflections in this one...And in Seattle the water looks black and highly reflective on cloudy days so I can relate...

Sincerely
    John

11. urbanvoyage

Hi Kerosene,

Thanks for your comments on the render. :)

Interesting point about the scale of the sea, you might be right - we'll have another look at that. It's been a long process to get it right!

Working on the people now. Personally I don't think they work well, however very good to get the general scale and ergonomics, etc.

I think you'll notice with a different camera angle (and possibly lighting) that the shapes work really nicely. The lighting and angle (and surfaces) have so much influence on the way the light reflects off the curves. She does have a really nice low profile and looks fast.

It will be amazing to see the yacht on the water. There are some more pics online at: http://www.bristolian.co.nz

Cheers,
    Rich

12. urbanvoyage

Hi Fair1,

Thanks!

The new lighting really helps with the realism. For the next ones we're going to try a mix between something quite dramatic (like the earlier ones) and something quite real like the recent renders. And of course fix those darn people!

Interesting point you make about the colour of the water. Here in NZ it's more of a dark green/blue colour. Obviously deeper ocean will be darker and depending on time of day and cloud cover! :)

Cheers,
    Rich

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.