Winged Trimaran-Kotaro Horiuchi

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by Doug Lord, Nov 1, 2006.

1. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Guest

2. fhrussell

fhrussell Boatbuilder

Hey, thats pretty cool!
    i like the rig..kinda like a windrider "on steroids"..

3. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Guest

winged trimaran

You know I think it's closer to a Moth since it has only two foils and doesn't use them to generate RM. And it sure would be a lot easier for a begining foiler than a Moth. I wish I could find numbers for the thing somewhere to make a better comparison. What a great finish!

4. Guru

Guru Honyakusha

Hi Doug,
    I just stumbled on this topic - Mr. Kotaro Horiuchi was my boss in my earlier life as boat designer. He has retired now, but is still actively engaged in designing small boats and hydrofoils.
    I have some photos of the trimaran that you mention above that I'll post or put up on my website, if you like. The boat in the photo has an overall length of 5 m, overall width of 3 m, and weighs 35 kg with sail (which is a Moth sail that has been cut at the bottom). The anticipated speed is 25 knots. I think it is still under development, and its foilborne ability has been tested under tow. The front and rear foils can be lifted and the boat beached easily. Let me know if you need any specific information. I am in touch with Mr. Horiuchi.

5. Guru

Guru Honyakusha

Photos of trimaran - Horiuchi design

OK. I just located some photos and have also discovered how to attach it to my message :), so here they are! Hope they come out fine.

Cheers,
    Gururaj Rao

Attached Files:

6. Guru

Guru Honyakusha

More photos

Well, it looks only one photo was attached, although I selected three. Here's one (or two) more.

Cheers,
    Gururaj Rao (Guru)

Attached Files:

7. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Guest

Flying Tri

Gururaj, many thanks!! I am most impressed by this boat. Could you find out what the foil areas are? The weight seems excellent as well. And sail area?
    Any information on how the boat sails would be very helpfull as well. I'd lke to try to understand why he chose the foil configuration that he did.
    Thank you very much for the pictures!
    ---------------
    PS- Guru, here is the url for a thread I started on Dinghy Anarchy; if you have any sailing picture it would be great to post them here and there-and ,again-any technical info.....

8. Guru

Guru Honyakusha

Hi Doug,
    Regarding your questions about foil and sail areas -- no, I don't have these figures -- since the boat is still under development, I might not be able to lay my hands on these.

Mr. Kotaro Horiuchi has worked on hydrofoils over the past 50 years or so. He published two books in Japanese "Locus of a Boat Designer" and "Locus of a Boat Designer 2." The latter has several chapters devoted to hydrofoil designs including "High-speed small sailboat Twin Ducks, Hydrofoil Boat OR51, Hydrofoil Boats OU90 and OU96, Hydrofoil Boat OU32, High Speed Sea Kayak, and others, including human-powered boats with hydrofoils; these chapters go into meticulous details. The second book has been personally published by him recently in English for private circulation only (I partially translated and edited the book). I have been told that the book was received very well, and there is a good chance of a reprint that may help make its way to the book stores!

Here are some details of a human powered hydrofoil boat called Suer Phoenix - a catamaran on which two persons one behind the other pedal on a bicycle-like contraption fitted on a platform, driving a propeller fitted to the main foil, and also having a front foil (these details including photos and sketches are in the chapter on High Speed Human Powered Boats):
    LOA - 4.98 m, BOA - 2.19 m, Weight incl. hydrofoils - 33 kg, Front hydrofoil surface area - 0.026 m3, Rear hydrofoil surface area - 0.113 m2, Prop. dia - 300 mm, Prop. pitch - 400 mm; Sprint speed - 18.16 knots.
    Cheers,
    Gururaj Rao

9. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Guest

Book

Guru, Is it possible to get a copy of the second book in English? Thanks for all the info!

10. Guru

Guru Honyakusha

Doug,
    I'll check if Mr. Horiuchi has extra copies. As I said earlier, he has got the book printed himself and has distributed it to all his friends and acquaintances; he also painstakingly assembled and burned a DVD containing video clips of several of his designs and posted them to all his friends - it is a labor of love. The final product is just wonderful - the book and the DVD. I heard that the IHS is probably interested in acquiring copies for its members - I hope that there is a sizable demand for it. Otherwise, he might not print more copies. I like the book, and the painstaking work Mr. Horiuchi has put into it - photos, data and figures - and have often told him that it should go on sale outside Japan. I hope some publisher takes up this job - very few in Japan are interested because the book has already been published in Japanese.

Incidentally, in my previous message, the boat's name is "Super Phoenix" - sorry for the typo.

Gururaj Rao

11. tspeer

tspeer Senior Member

I suggest that a cheaper way to disseminate the English translation in small quantities would be to scan the book into a pdf file and put it on CD. Mr. Horiuchi could reproduce the CD's himself and sell them.

Or he could make them available to an organization like the International Hydrofoil Society to sell and pay him a royalty. The IHS already sells CD's of technical material, so they are already equipped to handle the logistics. I think they would be very receptive of the idea.

12. Guru

Guru Honyakusha

The foil areas are 0.5 m2 and 0.12 m2.
    Have not been able to get the sail area. It seems to be the same as a Moth sail with a small part at the base cut off.

Regards,
    Gururaj Rao

13. Guru

Guru Honyakusha

Sorry, that should read 0.05 m2 and 0.12 m2.

Gururaj Rao

14. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Guest

First bi-foil trimaran

Thanks! Hope you can come up with some sailing pictures. Any idea what is going on with the boat now?
    Thanks to Jeff for correcting my mis-spelling of Mr. Horiuchi's name in the first post!

15. Guru

Guru Honyakusha

Hello Doug,
    This is rather late, but Mr. Horiuchi's book (very few copies -probably less than 100) is available. I am quoting an excerpt from an unofficial review of the book which will probably be in one of the publications of the IHS.
    QUOTE ----------
    > Locus is a large book, 308 pages of 8” X 11.5” print. It is filled
    > with over 360 fine line drawings and photos. The line drawings in
    > particular are works of art. About 40% of the book is devoted to
    > hydrofoils, 20% for power boats, 10% for rowing shells, 10% two wheel
    > powered vehicles, and 10% for airplanes and helicopters. The book is
    > filled with great designer and engineering ideas with numbers,
    > dimensions and details. This edition is priced at $99.00 plus $7.00
    > US shipping. Order it through Dr. Mike Timmons, 126 Sunset Drive,
    > Ithaca, NY 14850. Email mbt3@cornell.edu. Phone 607-227-5638.
    UNQUOTE --------------------------------
    I think the same information (about source of book purchase is available at the end of a video clip posted on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wObflyTPLvM

Mr. Horiuchi is retired and getting older, but is healthy and well. I hope he does have the energy to bring out the translation of his first book too.

Cheers.
    Gururaj Rao
    Technical Translator (Japanese/English)
    Specializing in the Marine Field

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.