Interior LED Lighting

Discussion in 'Electrical Systems' started by Bob7, Mar 13, 2012.

1. Bob7

Bob7 New Member

Hi,

I just bought an old narrowboat in London/UK and would like to modernize it a bit. I have 2 leisure batteries (deep cycle, 110Ah each). So first thing on the list is cut down on electricity use.

I'd like to replace he existing 12v/12w lightbulbs with LED lights. Ideally with a fitting which allows rotating & swiveling, so I can point it different directions.

I already looked at some online shops here in the UK but couldn't find anything suitable: Maplin, Conrad, Homebase,...
    Most lamp fittings I like are for 220v (GU10 bulbs). The best I could find for a MR16 bulb is eBay item number 300672991736.

But I'm worried that when fitted with a LED light, it may become way too hot. (Straight behind the wooden ceiling it's insulation material).

Can anyone recommend an online shop with a good selection of lights/fittings? Maybe even a company that specializes in boaters lighting/electrical needs? (ideally from the UK)

Thank you all!

2. michael pierzga

michael pierzga Senior Member

Batsytem.se sweden make versitile LEDs . The lights are stabilzed 8 to 30volt, dimmable and come in three different white colours in all the common base, socket size configurations.

Google their web site..Batsystem also sells marine hardward so your local ship shop might stock thier products.

3. Submarine Tom

Submarine Tom Previous Member

Bob7,

You don't have to worry about heat build-up with LED's.

If your handy, you can make a lot of this stuff on your own.

Otherwise, buy what's received good reviews as some of the fixtures burn out prematurely.

-Tom

P.S. Oh, and welcome to the forum.

4. Tim B

Tim B Senior Member

Have a look at these guys for UK light bulb suppliers (primarily domestic).

http://www.bltdirect.co.uk/

I have used them before and they seemed quite friendly.

Tim B.

5. daiquiri

daiquiri Engineering and Design

Whatever supplier you choose, I would recommend you to pay attention to color temperature of the LEDs in the catalogue. Try to avoid 5000 K LEDs, which give very cold, almost blueish light, and to go for 3000-3500 K bulbs instead. These will give you a warm light similar to that of incandescent bulbs, which is much more pleasant and relaxing.
    Cheers!

6. CatBuilder

CatBuilder Previous Member

That is interesting, Daiquiri. My wife absolutely hates "yellow" lights now that we have full spectrum CFLs everywhere (while on land). These are 5000K to shine something like natural sunlight.

Do you know what the CRI (color rendering index) is on LEDs? Does it vary much between different brands?

It's an interesting topic.

7. michael pierzga

michael pierzga Senior Member

LEDs from BATSYSTEM are marketed in three shades of white

The warm white 3200k is interior quality the pure white is exterior.

8. CatBuilder

Again, that is an interesting fact. I wonder why we prefer yellow light to a more white light?

Generations of lighting by fire and candles at night?

9. daiquiri

daiquiri Engineering and Design

Could be, who knows.

Fact is, a majority of people (and every single person I know) will prefer warm light to a cool one in spaces inteded for relaxation, like restaurants, living rooms and... boat cabins. :) I believe you should take it into account if the boat is intended for chartering. I personally associate cool lighting to offices. Makes me feel like I'm in a hospital or similar sterilized places.

It is interesting to note that the most natural light we have, the sunlight, has a color temperature between 5500 K and 6500 K at noon, which is a cool light by technical standards. Yet we do like being out in the sunlight, but we generally don't like being in rooms with that color temperature range. Could be related to the fact that the sunset, the ending part of the day which causes us the sensation of relax, is definitely made of warm light - 3200 K. :)

There are some interesting studies relative to the influence of the color temperature on the person's mood and performance, and it seems that persons want warm lights in spaces intended for relaxing and cooler light in spaces where they have to be active, like office, study room and... kitchen. :) See this paper, for example: https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&...Ajg_b5&sig=AHIEtbQ7AaG5HgNlBzEG-EBv9sxmovqLzA

Of course, in every group of persons there will be those who don't follow the rule, your wife seem to be one of them. ;)

Cheers

10. taniwha

taniwha Senior Member

Not entirely true from a safety point of view it is correct but from a longevity point of view not. LED lifespan is also depending on heat.

11. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

We have a yellow sun.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sun

12. Submarine Tom

13. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sun

"The Sun's stellar classification, based on spectral class, is G2V, and is informally designated as a yellow dwarf, because its visible radiation is most intense in the yellow-green portion of the spectrum and although its color is white, from the surface of the Earth it may appear yellow because of atmospheric scattering of blue light.[14][15]"

Ha!

14. CatBuilder

Great thread. We will go with romantic, yellow lights to keep guests relaxed. The wife clarified that she prefers cool light during the day, so she is good with warm evening lights.

15. Submarine Tom

Happy wife, happy life.

If that fails, get out the epoxy!

-Tom

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.