Ignition Switch(es)

Discussion in 'Electrical Systems' started by missinginaction, Mar 19, 2012.

1. missinginaction

missinginaction Senior Member

I'm wondering if anyone else has run into this.

I'm trying to find two, 3 position ignition switches (for upper and lower helm) that are keyed identically.

I reason that two identically keyed switches would be simpler and just plain easier to deal with. The problem is that I've contacted three major vendors and keep striking out. It seems that although they understand the idea, the vendors are unable to get two identical switches.

Would anyone have a source that might be able to help me out? I can't be the first person to think of this...

Thanks,

MIA

1 person likes this.
  2. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

A locksmith should be able to key them for you

3. missinginaction

I thought of that Gonzo. When I brought that up with a rep at Defender she thought that it would be difficult to get the switch apart.

I'll have to look into that.

MIA

4. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

5. tunnels

tunnels Previous Member

The key is to find two identical switchs that have an aluminium base and the tags holding the switch together are simply tags bent over If you gently straighten the tags the switch is able to be taken apart and the barrell will fall out of its holder . Insert a key into the tumbler and you will see small brass bits sticking out the side Just file them off !! Insert your other key and do the same . Repeat this on both sets of tumblers and each key will work either switch dosent matter which one you use !! Now reassemble each switch and try it again to make sure all is ok !! Not that hard just dont loose any bits !! Check everything works before you bend down the little tags for the last time . As a kid i used to love pulling things apart to find out what was inside !,over the years has got me out of trouble a few time understanding how things work !
    Simpler still is some of the barrels on the older style switchs just have a wee button down the side of the casing where the key slides in if you use a match and push in that button the barrel will pop out !! Just do the same as what i said and file the little brass tags off that are sticking out and the change keys and do the same again with the other key . Older locks were made so of you lost your keys just went and bought a new key and barrell and changed it !!
    Even some of the new plastic switchs will come to bits becasue the have little one way catchs and just need to slide something thin and hard down and hold the catch away and the switch will slide apart . But be care some are full of springs and all manner of little bits inside of them . they are really easy to put back together . even flick switchs will come to bits if you have a look . salt and moisture and corrosion play havoc and replacing those fancy switchs can be a hassle so just take apart and clean then out .
    Starter solenoids was another hobby thing i used to take apart . Two terminals and a copper washer is all thats inside of most of them !!, take the washer off and turn it over to the good side !!,sand the terminals and reassemble and it will last for another 5 or 10 years or even longer !! :p:idea::D:p

6. michael pierzga

michael pierzga Senior Member

Just eliminate the key altogether. Ignition ON..push to start.

Keys and key switches are unreliable.

7. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Kinda same thing I think. One Master ign at one station and start and stop at the other.

8. CDK

CDK retired engineer

The solution is simple MIA.
    Buy ignition switches for tractors like old Massey Fergusons on Ebay. They are sturdy, cheap and all have the same key.

The same is true for Renault R4 vehicles built in Yugoslavia. They all had the same ignition and door keys. Imagine the confusion in a parking lot, they were available in 3 or 4 colors only.

9. missinginaction

Thanks for the responses, all good ideas.

I'm a little concerned about pulling a switch apart since I've got clumsy fingers with tiny parts.

The push button ignition is a good idea too.

CDK, I looked at those switches for the M/F tractor that you mentioned. Looks like that's the solution. The stem is short since my instrument panels are made from wood, but I can simply counter bore from the back side of the panel to get around that issue. I had to counter bore for the gauges as you can see in the photo below. Same idea for the switch.

Thank you all for the thoughts, it's very helpful, especially with these small issues to get ideas that I wouldn't have thought of.

MIA

Attached Files:

10. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

As service manager for Renault for the entire UAE, Abu Dhabi and head office Dubai in 1978 I have never heard of this.

It begs to ask what the hell is the key for then.

I have nothing more than logic tells me this is difficult to accept.

11. CDK

CDK retired engineer

The plant is now in Slovenia, owned by Renault and assembles the Renault Clio, lots of different colors and keys like it should be.

But there are still a lot of R4's around, nearly all in the same faded brownish red color, mainly used by farmers. The story about the keys is very much alive here. People absentmindedly went to their car, drove away and then wondered about the unfamiliar objects lying around, so they went back for the right one.
    Although to me they were and are ordinary Renaults, the locals could easily identify them as Balkan vehicles because there were small external details, probably parts produced locally with different shapes or finish. Of course not all of the 565.000 cars produced by IMV had the same keys, but enough to build the reputation.

12. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

I think I know the lock you are refering to, a flat steel key. They did look the same but the single cut was not all in the same place so some individuality did exist.

13. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Changing out cylinders is pretty easy on most common switches, I don't see a problem here.

14. tunnels

tunnels Previous Member

Not really !! A lady locked her keys in her car along side of where i was parked at a Brisbane hospital she aske me if i could help her , it was a toyota car and the ute i was in was a toyota as well so just pulled the key out of the ute and the key fitted into the lock in the drivers door so by the time she got from the pasengers side to the drivers door i had her keys in my hand ! she just stood with her mouth open !!
    If you can get a key to slide in 50% ot the time it will open the lock or what ever .
    My first wife work in real estate and she had just 3 keys that could get into any house !! so how secure are you feeling now ??
    Locks are only for keeping 1% of us honest people out !
    :eek:

15. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Thats what bad lock smiths do, If uou have say 7 lever lock and they fit another key and file off the levers you may have a 3 lever lock meaning now many keys will fit your lock. many people don't realize this. If you have 2 old vehicles it may be possible but unlikely.

Modern electronic key recognition will stop all that.