Needs to maintain cat steering floating downriver

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by Markusik, Dec 6, 2018.

1. Markusik

Markusik Junior Member

We intend to do several trips downriver in a sail catamaran with masts lowered. Think Mississippi, Tombigbee, and Danube rivers.

Without some speed difference between the flow of water and the boat, the rudders won’t produce much in the way of lift, just drag. I know the answer is “it depends” (on windage, conditions, rudder size and shape, etc.), but in general terms how much speed difference is required to maintain rudder steering when floating downriver?

A potential cat currently for sale is 12m LOA 7m BOA 0.9m draft ~5000kg with mini keels and small skegged rudders. A hypothetical pre-design cat I’m contemplating is 14m LOA 7m BOA 0.45m draft ~6000kg with leeboards and midsize kick-up balanced elliptical spade rudders. Both use petrol outboards in bridgedeck wells for auxiliary propulsion. We won’t be in any mad rush, and would prefer not to use the petrol outboards more than necessary.

I’m aware of issues with using pounds of thrust, but do you think a fore bridgedeck mounted electric trolling outboard (with remote control for deployment and +/- 180 degree rotation) producing 112 pounds of thrust would be any use to maintain steering when floating downriver, alone or together with rudders?

Thanks,

2. JamesG123

JamesG123 Senior Member

A 112 lb. trolling motor should be more than enough for steering and for fine maneuvering in tight spaces. Hardest part will be deciding when you need to deploy it or keep it hauled up to minimize drag.

Edit; cheapest, easiest solution of course is a skeg to lazily wag when you need to.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2018
  3. Richard Woods

Richard Woods Woods Designs

The traditional way is to use quant poles to keep off the banks. But I doubt you'd want to do that for 1000miles. They used to do it on the Tamar but that's only navigable about 20 miles. I would think you sensibly want to maintain 4 knots through the water to be able to steer safely. And maybe faster if there is a crosswind (always worse than wind from dead ahead)

RW

4. JamesG123

JamesG123 Senior Member

Or in any body of water that has fast mover or commercial barge traffic with serious people on board with their Coast Guard/River Police on speeddial, who would have zero patience with a private boat drifting back and forth thru the channel...

5. fallguy

fallguy Senior Member

Not a fan of the 112# troller. Gotta admit it.

Stick to a gas engine. Batteries won't support the adventure.

6. JamesG123

JamesG123 Senior Member

Boat in question has an gas outboard main engine. This is just for something to maintain positive control while drifting downriver without having to fire it up.

7. fallguy

fallguy Senior Member

Totally good then. Sorry friends. Carry on.

8. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

Controlling a drifting boat sounds like an oxymoron to me. And if the drift is slow, and with an adverse wind, you could be going upstream rather than down.

9. BlueBell

BlueBell . . . _ _ _ . . . _ _ _

I'd say 2 - 3 knots (speed through the water) while under sail to maintain reasonable control by rudder, depending on sea conditions.
    If it's an efficient cat, your river drift rate may give you enough apparent wind to sail on a calm day.
    Interesting question.

10. Mr Efficiency

He is going to have the sail rig lowered for the duration.

11. BlueBell

BlueBell . . . _ _ _ . . . _ _ _

Right, my mistake.

Then a drogue is really the only option, no?

12. Mr Efficiency

The boat needs to be under power at all times, even if only idling, or there is no control.

13. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

The barges have right of way and small recreational traffic must stay clear. A small trolling motor would not be adequate. The whirlpools from the tug propellers can make a smaller boat turn around at half a mile away. The rooster tail can be up to 18 feet tall. You need enough power to maintain control. I have done the Mississippi on a 25 foot monohull. When you go by Baton Rouge, the USCG will assign you a number for traffic control. You are required to maintain speed for maneuverability and to get out of the way.

14. Markusik

Markusik Junior Member

Thanks all for the input.

Ideally, my cat will be able to raise and lower masts with 2 crew on calm waters. Both the 12m real cat and the 14m hypothetical cat I mentioned use freestanding biplane masts. The 12m cat uses glassed wood staves, but could easily be modified to carbon fiber masts in tabernacles. The best case scenario is conditions and obstacles will permit us to sail, but we can’t count on the best case.

An examination of the Minn-Kota 112# troller (which gets terrible reviews, but Minn-Kota assures me they are improving) says it can draw 52A @ 36V. It may be comparable to a 2.5hp outboard, although with better torque at low RPMs. Depending on conditions of course, I guess it might be adequate to produce 2 knots of propulsion, probably not 4, so probably not enough to allow dependable rudder steering. With the ability to steer the electric outboard, it seems it might be just adequate to avoid mishaps in good conditions. We will typically only do river navigation during daylight, and will have lots of solar, so I’m interested in including the (hopefully improved) electric outboard to supplement the petrol outboards, but won’t depend on it alone to maintain control.

I’ve also considered a yuloh, but figure it would result in mutiny.

Cheers,

15. Richard Woods

Richard Woods Woods Designs

I think it would be wise to talk to the USCG or whoever it is who controls navigation on the US inland waters to see what they say before you get to far with your project. My guess is that they will want you to maintain a 4 knot speed in bad weather not just in good.

RW

fallguy likes this.
Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.