needing info on gentlemans race boats of the 30's

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by waterman, Feb 7, 2004.

1. waterman

waterman Boat Geek

To all: I'm working on a design and I'm looking for some information on classic speedboats, such as: Baby bootlegger, teaser, typhoon, Hackers, ect. I'm looking for any info: sources of information, lines plans or hard numerical data such as: length, beam (wl), displacement(wet),Deadrise angle @ transom, max rpm,max horsepower, max velocity (@max rpm, and hp), rpm and horsepower at a variety of speeds, ect. feel free to email me if you would like. Thanks!

2. Eric Sponberg

Eric Sponberg Senior Member

If you look in your library, or at Amazon.com or other on-line book sellers, you will likely find many books on the classic speedboats. Also, there is a really good series of books called "The Real Runabouts" by Bob Speltz (now deceased). You can order the complete package of 7 books from his relative, Mary Keating, 115 North Newton,, Box 850, Albert Lea, MN, 56007. Tel: 507-373-2145. The entire series is about $290. They contain a wealth of information about all the old boats of yesteryear, including current sources for other builer information and equipment.

Eric

3. waterman

waterman Boat Geek

thanks

Eric, thanks for the reply. I'll put those books on my library wish list. My sailing and design library could use some powerboat company. Is this collection a pictorial, coffee table book, or is a combination of pictorial with numerical data and/ or lines?

4. Eric Sponberg

Eric Sponberg Senior Member

The 7 books in the series are recollections of original advertising and company detail of all the runabout builders in the early part of the century. Bob Speltz wrote in a very informal, personal way about the original boats and the people who built them. He included source information at the back for current boat manufacturers and hardware. Each book covers pretty much the same ground as the one before, but adds more information as the popularity of the books encouraged other readers to send in more detail. Book IV was devoted to outboard boats, all the others to inboard boats. Yes, they make very good coffee table reading, but they are not as fancy and glossy as the typical coffee table book.

Eric

5. robert_johnson_

robert_johnson_ CENTURYMAN

to all: Hey guys Im new to the forum and am also interested in the runabouts of the 20's and 30's. I,m basically wondering if there are any plans out there of the great George Crouch designs of Baby bootlegger and of course Typhoon Wow! Also this ones way at the other end of the scale star wars like I'm also interested in a boat design using reverse dihedral wings that flies just above the surface of the water.(Wierd!)

Rob

6. waterman

waterman Boat Geek

plans

Supposedly there are palns out there. I think the Smithsonian may have them for a small fee ($10-$20). I've seen a set of plans for another one of his boats (i'm not sure which one) An aquaintance of mine lofted on half scale for his lofting project when we were at boat school. Unfortunately, I was blinded by sail at the time and didn't inquire about where he got the plans.........

7. FAST FRED

FAST FRED Senior Member

While these boats were great at the time ,

today we can have the same HP with 1/10 the weight. Same for the hull .

So I'm not sure you would want to use lines plans as much as just the basic "look" .

FAST FRED

8. robert_johnson_

robert_johnson_ CENTURYMAN

I agree with the approach of twice the horsepower 1/10th the weight. First one must have a mold, but oh do those woodies look so coool ! the glass cigerette style boats are awesome in there own right but I love the lines of the woodies and there women of the 20s and 30s. For the later Ive only seen in pictures. Still interested in info on george crouch designs, such as Typhoon, baby bootlegger, etc. Thanks for that info Ill try the Smithsonian
    Thanks Rob

9. robmill54

robmill54 Junior Member

I'm new here, but I have the info you asked for. I have a full set of original plans for Babybootlegger and Teaser including offsets and construction .
    George Couch donated his plans and the rights to The Mystic Seaport Museum of which I am a member. Hacker plans are also there.
    ALL of these plans are available to the public for a fee to reproduce them. My original set was done on actual blueprint with white drawings which make the plans very difficult to read. Because of the interest in these plans, Mystic Seaport has remastered them.in blck on white format. They are very helpful. Call the Museum and ask for the plans library. I paid about 60.00 for the full set for one boat.
    Hope that helps.

10. gelcoatman

gelcoatman Junior Member

baby bootlegger plans

Well there are plans for the baby bootlegger real nice ones actualy.heres where..

http://www.classicwoodenboatplans.com/baby_bootlegger.htm

Plans on cd rom with dxf files with digital assemblies so you can zoom in and see how everything fits together..Good luck i am on the same hunt for somthing like it maybe somthing that resembles somthing more like a garwood tripple cockpit runabout.i think i will try the smithsonian as well

11. Busman1965

Busman1965 Junior Member

Plans

You might try looking up some of the old books published by Motorboat& Sailing, back in the 1920-30's. They had alot of designs by Crouch, Hacker, Etc. Some had lines and tables of offsets, as well.

12. messabout

messabout Senior Member

Depending onwhat you really want, you can go from the sublime to the ridiculous as follows. Check out Bolgers baby bootlegger (sort of). I think he calls it "Sneakeasy". It is about as sexy as you can get with a box boat. Also it goes like mad with very low power. Easy quick build, cheap, eye catcher, fun. It may also be dangerous with too much power.

13. moTthediesel

moTthediesel Junior Member

Baby Bootlegger

I've seen the original B.B. in action at the Antique Boat Museum in Clayton NY, and believe me, it's something to see :cool: :cool:
    Actually quite a practical boat as well, no more or less ill-mannered than any other large wooden runabout from that era.
    Don't denigrate it's original power either. That Hisso V8 made about 300hp in marine trim while tripping the scales at less than 600#, remember it's an aero engine. The case could be made that even as 90 year old technology, with it's alloy block and overhead cams, it's a more advanced engine than those powering current NASCAR racers. :D
    moT

14. Tug

Tug Junior Member

15. gelcoatman

gelcoatman Junior Member

gentlemans racer

Another great sorce for gentlemens racer is Spencer boat works in the adirndack mountains of new york.Spencer and jay have been restoring antiques for over 20 years.They both went to school for marine design and have worked exclusively for over 30 years.Spencer Was the designer for Carter Boats and ofcourse they built and over saw production of the carter woden boats back in th 1980's before going into buisness for them selves..
    They are a great source for antique boats with the old literature they have and there experiance they have i cant imagine them not having an answer for any question you might have.
    If you dont have the ability to build your boat they can build it for you.They also have a gentlemans racer design of there own that looks real sharp the lines to the tumble home on the transom will stop you in your tracks.They have built quite a few of these boats and i beleive they built one that hit around the high 80 mph mark and a few people seem to think they were pushing close to 100 mph with blown big block power.
    They have restored multiple award winning antique boats and i beleave they restored the first ChrisCraft Cobra to break the $100,000 Mark when sold.

Check out their website:

www.antiqueandclassicboats.com

They have photos of there custom boats and there restorations to view and all kinds of other info.good luck

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.