Confused about Designing a Hull & "Principles of Yacht Design"

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Free Pirate, Mar 7, 2005.

1. Free Pirate

Free Pirate Junior Member

I just skimmed through my new copy of "Principles of Yacht Design" by Larsson & Eliasson. I'm new to yacht design, and don't understand what steps to take and in what order when designing a hull. Where can I find an outline or something similar that will tell me what to do and when? The book seems to explain how to find every important property of the hull, but I can't see how to piece them together, and where to begin. I'd really appreciate any help, thanks.

2. Skippy

Skippy Senior Member

John Teale's "How to Design a Boat" is pretty good.
    Also "Understanding Boat Design" by Ted Brewer.

3. sharpii2

sharpii2 Senior Member

Cy Hamlin's book PRLIMINARY DESIGN OF BOATS AND SHIPS is a good one too.

4. Dutch Peter

Dutch Peter Senior Member

I seam to remember that topic is dealt with in the first chapter?! The design spiral?But get the other books too, one reference is no reference.

5. Free Pirate

Free Pirate Junior Member

Thanks, I'll look into those books. I re-read the first few chapters, and "Principles" says that you should either base the preliminary hull design on someone else's plans or on your own experience. I don't have any experience :(, so I guess I'll look around for some similar plans and modify them to meet my specifications.

6. Wynand N

Wynand N Retired Steelboatbuilder

A nice book to add for it's simplicity is "Yacht And Small Boat Design" by Gorden Trower

7. jehardiman

jehardiman Senior Member

First and most important is to sit down and write out a detailed, prioritized, list of requirements. This will make all the decisions and tradeoffs that come in the design sprial easier

8. Skippy

Skippy Senior Member

Free Pirate: "I don't have any experience."

Also just surf around on the net, there are tons of pictures out there. Snoop around the marina, check out other people's boats, get some books with photos and/or diagrams. Whatever. It all helps.

9. mackid068

mackid068 Semi-Newbie Posts Often

Ok, I just finished brewer's book and it's great. Really informative and ez to understand without being a book for ******.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.