V8 MP350ANI problem (1991?)

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by MilitaryPopo, Oct 13, 2005.

1. MilitaryPopo

MilitaryPopo Junior Member

I have a 1989 Renken Bowrider with a V8 MP350ANI motor in it (i was told by the seller that it is a 1991 model motor). I am a couple problems with the motor, could be the same root problem though. When I first put the boat in the water, it is impossible to immediately put it on reverse, the motor stalls out no matter out many times I try. It starts fine, just stalls out once it is thrown in reverse. After the motor gets warmed up, it usually doesn't have a problem shifting out of drive, but every now and then, when I shift into neutral or reverse, it will still stall, even though the engine is warm by then. I don't know a whole lot about motors, I was planning on this one being my intro to motor work as I am rebuilding the whole boat and planned on tearing down the motor as well. Any help y'all can give me would be greatly appreciated.
    Mike

2. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

I don't recongnize the model number. What make is the motor and drive?

3. MilitaryPopo

MilitaryPopo Junior Member

the operators manual that the original owner gave me with the boat is from Marine Power INC. and handwritten on the cover it says: 5.7Liter, 260hp, Mod. No. MP 350 ANI and Serial No. AN890742215I. That is pretty much all the data I have on the motor. When you say 'drive', I'm guessing you mean the outer drive, I beleive it is an OMC Cobra, but will have to check on that tomorrow and get back to you. Thanks a lot for any help you can give me.

4. FAST FRED

FAST FRED Senior Member

I would consider looking at the drive , not the engine first.

If it stalls when cold on getting shifted into reverse , it would seem reverse is requiring more power than the engine has cold. Thats not normal .

Any shift adjustments , to be sure its not attempting to be in two gears at once?

FAST FRED

5. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

Check the shift linkage in the sterndrive as well as the cables from the helm to the drive. If ithey are properly aligned, my next guess would be the hydraulics in the lower unit. I agree with Fred that the drive is likely the culprit, and I think your engine is probably fine.

6. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

That is a rebuilt unit by Marine Power. The gear oil may be too low. That can make it drag or stick.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.