Need your Opinion: Yacht Designing business in SE Asia

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by chomchan, Oct 18, 2005.

1. chomchan

chomchan Junior Member

Boatdesign.net is giving a great information for beginner like I am.

I'm very new in boat design area but I would like to study and learn more about it. I live in Thailand where Phuket, Samui and Pataya are major cities for recreational marine business. I considered to involve more in boat design as my second career. I have an engineering degree as my background and have my small trading and construction business. I love boat and being in the sea. Now I'm thinking to take course at Westlawn but it is very expensive to study the course tho. Then it comes to big question since I am a businessman:

"What can I do and How can I make profit from Westlawn degree or Yacht Designing skills, if I completed the course."

Boat/Yacht design business, as far as I've seen (vision of beginner in this area):
    There are not many Yacht designing houses in Thailand and SE Asia countries (or else?). I see that there are many boatbuilding yards in Thailand offerring low labor and material cost so far. I doubt about the opportunites for yacht designing house. People doesn't use local designer or tend to hire western designer for their boat, is this the reason of designing business in SE Asia region not big and having bright future?

I just want to get your opinion about boat/yacht designing business in SE Asia (especially in Thailand). As one of my creteria to invest myself into Yacht designing career/business and also invest myself into Westlawn or not.

2. FAST FRED

FAST FRED Senior Member

You might look at the local market and see what style boats are needed there.

Most big buck boat owners wish to reduce the risks involved in having a custom boat created.
    This REQUIRES using a yard with a great HISTORY of constructing similar vessels.

Same with designers , the NAME designers will be very well versed with mega buck clients wishes with the least risk to the client.

"What can I do and How can I make profit from Westlawn degree or Yacht Designing skills, if I completed the course."

To make a sucess you will need to produce world class boats , and exhibit them for the customers to see at their ease.

Not an easy task ,

Or create something so revolutionary , the world will come to you.

With 10,000 years of boat building behind us , that may be even HARDER to do.

If there is a world class building yard in your area , ask THEM what it takes to get a job as design apprentace.

FAST FRED

3. Alik

Alik Senior Member

Dear Chomchan, try to contact us +66 38368118 'Hull Co Ltd'

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.