The September 2012 issue of Westlawn Institute's free journal The Masthead is posted

Discussion in 'Education' started by dgerr, Sep 28, 2012.

1. dgerr

dgerr Senior Member

The September 2012 issue of Westlawn Institute's free online journal, The Masthead, is now posted.

Highlights in this edition:
    • Westlawn's Maryland Meet
    • ABYC's First Annual Boating Safety Clinic
    • Message from the ABYC President
    • Westlawn Drives Down Education Costs
    • Westlawn Profiles Laurie McGowan of McGowan Marine
    • On the Drawing Board: The Erdivicki 175-Footer
    • Splashes - Theo Danel's Rùm
    • ABYC Tech Notes - Design for Serviceability
    • Know It All Answer - On DC Wire Size
    • Know It All Question - On Cockpit Scuppers
    • Orca3D Tip - Planing Craft: Static vs. Dynamic Trim
    • News & Views
    • Training Links & Events
    • Combined Index for The Masthead
    • Masthead Archives
    • Westlawn Information

Excerpts:

Westlawn Drives Down Costs
    Students Can Save Thousands of Dollars

Westlawn has taken a number of strong steps designed to help lower education costs and assist students to follow their dreams and attain their goals. These steps include the Wood Foundation scholarship and finding ways for students to obtain otherwise expensive design software at low or no cost.

Planing Craft Analysis:
    Static vs. Dynamic Stability

By Martin Monteverde, Naval Architect

Though focused on trim considerations in Orca 3D this article provides an excellent overview of the fundamental concepts involved in planning boat trim . . .

A question that often arises for Orca3D users is whether or not the "Static" and "Running" Trim of a fast planing craft are somewhat "geometrically" related to each other. The quick answer is "No," but it is worth studying the question more closely to understand the answer.

Design with Serviceability in Mind
    By Ed Sherman

I write this after several recent experiences on my own new boat have reminded me that even today the matter of a boat's serviceability is often overlooked at the design phase. Further, my thinking here raises the question of whether or not the ABYC Standards should look harder at the matter of serviceability.

The question, or perhaps debate, over this issue centers on the thought that the ABYC Standards after all, are safety standards, not service standards. But that is where the issue gets clouded I think. Why? Because you could debate whether or not service access or the lack thereof might impact safety.

Read the complete articles and more in this issue.
    Go to:

http://www.westlawn.edu/news/Masthead23/index.html

Note:
    New issues of The Masthead are in Internet flipping-book format, with control icons are located on the bar at the bottom of the screen

If you prefer to read it in standard PDF format, go to the new flipping-book format and click on the download button on the bottom gray bar.

To read The Masthead in the PDF format, you must have a current version of ADOBE ACROBAT READER. If you don't have it go to: http://get.adobe.com/reader/otherversions/

You can click on:

http://www.westlawn.edu/news/index.asp#Newsletter

To see all back issues and read whichever one you like.

Dave Gerr
    Director, Westlawn Institute
    www.westlawn.edu

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.