Crystalization of Epoxy

Discussion in 'Materials' started by Phil Westendorf, Jun 3, 2012.

1. Phil Westendorf

Phil Westendorf Junior Member

Recently I was the recipient of two five gallon cans of Dow D.E.R. 331 Epoxy Resin in steel containers. It has crystallized, I assume it's been stored in someones garage for some time. According to Dow's Tech Data Sheet it's like frozen water just thaw it until the whole mass is at 50 Degrees C (122 F). Sounds easy, eh.
    Well my question to you folks is: How in the heck do I heat it? First it must be outdoors, I have homeowners ins, but I am not taking any chances, if you know what I mean. Don;t like the idea of sitting around with a torch pointed at the can. The five gallon can is a bit much for an elecrtic hot plate....
    I tried to "thaw"a small amount in a plastic quart bottle of another brand a couple of years ago by putting it in a black garbage bag in the Sun. Didn't work!
    If someone out there has any experience I am open to suggestions.

phil w

2. Silver Raven

Silver Raven Senior Member

Gooday 'Phil' . Take approx 500ml or 500 grams - put it in a plastic (like Tupper ware) container - with a loosly titting lid - put it in a micro-wave - on low or medium - give it 30 seconds, or 60 seconds - or whatever - it will soon turn to liquid & be as usable as it was when it was first made. Regardless of the 'company-chemists' it will have 99% of it's original properties. Been doing that in my Fiberglass Reinforced Plastics for well over 30 years & I've never had a problem - of any kind. Just go at it softly - softly - - you'll gain in confidence & see that it works just fine. Ciao, james

3. Herman

Herman Senior Member

55 gallon drums are easy: you can buy heaters for them.

If the 5 gallon drums you have are metal, you can heat them on a portable electric stove. Open the lid just a bit, to prevent pressure build-up.

I like the container to be completely liquid and stirred well before using the contents, to prevent any change of separation of the contents.

4. TeddyDiver

TeddyDiver Gollywobbler

1# 5 gallon drum is easy in the sauna.. of course if you happen to have a sauna.
    2# Put it in a tub of hot water.. (not submerged thou)
    3# Warm air blower (domestic kind of.. ) and a big box over both, works also with 55gallon drums just takes a bit more time and an extra blanket over..
    BR Teddy

5. goodwilltoall

goodwilltoall Senior Member

Get $40.00 porpane torch at Lowe's and start slowly walking around with heat, also elevate bottom on clay bricks. Seen guys do this with foundation tar in winter.

6. mydauphin

mydauphin Senior Member

Leave it outside in mid day in back of pickup while you drive around.

7. Stumble

Stumble Senior Member

Last time I had this happen I just so happen to "need" a propane grill. The burner on my new grill worked great.

8. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Sweet God, no torches or flames. Just drop it the thing into a container full of water fresh from a standard hot water heater (usually about 125 degrees from the tap). This will reconstitute the molecules. No grills, no burners, no silly stuff, just common sense. If you like you can heat the water on the stove until it's in the 150 to 175 degree range and add this to the regular tap water. It doesn't have to real hot and mixing during the process will speed things up.

9. pauloman

pauloman Epoxy Vendor

a cabinet/box with 2 100 watt light bulbs will get the temp to about 105 - process will probably take a few days...

that's how I do it ---

paul oman
    progressive epoxy polymers inc.

10. Phil Westendorf

Phil Westendorf Junior Member

Guys,
    I appreciate all the various ideas. Not sure which one I'll use but it doesn't seem to be such a significant challenge. I have an electric smoker, I think I'll try it with out the enclosure. Don't really like the idea of eating smoked fish or meat tasting like Epoxy. Thanks,
    phil w.

11. philSweet

philSweet Senior Member

Think really low power and lots of time, like 24 hours for a five gallon pail. You can sit it in the sun on the asphalt in most places. In Saginaw, you might need a bit of help. Once you get it all mixed up again, divide into containers that will fit in the micro. The stuff REALLY heats up in the micro. 10 seconds for a gallon or so ought to do it. 60 seconds and you'll melt the container. You could just sit it over a heat register for that matter.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2012
  12. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

Amen. Approach it like you're making Hollandaise sauce.

No sense aiming fire at something that's flammable or vulnerable to overheating, even if it's in a container that's theoretically sealed from the flames.

13. SheetWise

SheetWise All Beach -- No Water.

14. Herman

Herman Senior Member

I don't fancy open flames as well. Over here the guys heated a valve with a flame:

[​IMG]

15. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Incandescent bulbs work and what I do with smaller quantities too. If you need it quick and/or a big drum, the hot water, straight from the tap will work, much faster too.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.