Need to find electrical schematics for Choey Lee 35' Lion Sailboat

Discussion in 'Electrical Systems' started by Jawbone, Nov 13, 2004.

1. Jawbone

Jawbone New Member

I am interested in finding the electrical schematics for a 35' Choey Lee Sailboat model: Lion Designer: Art Robb
    I have not seen the boat yet so I do not know any details other then what I have written down. I do know it is of the early 1970's vintage . I would appreciate any help I can get in finding these electrical schematics.
    Thank You in Advance
    Jawbone :)

2. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

I've had the same design in both 'glass and wooden construction. I wasn't aware they built them into the 70's, but may well have. The original design was to the CCA rule in the 50's as a Lion class sloop. They were typical of the era, being narrow, deep bellied, wine glass sectioned craft with a bunch of pretty overhang in the ends. Most were converted to yawls to take advantage of the rating rule not counting area in the mizzen staysail, providing a considerable advantage over the sloops and cutters once freed up a touch.

The wooden Off Shore 35 were of teak, I mean lots of it, the stick(s) were silver spruce and ballast was iron castings, but I think lead was available. They had wonderful carvings of dragons and elves (or something) about the interior, no doubt by some poor Burmese kid making a dollar a week, all in fine grained teak.

The 'glass version was heavier and I didn't like it compared to the wooden, but it had the pretty shape. I think they came with an Atomic 4, though could be wrong. My first had no engine and I learned to sail her backwards out of her slip (not an easy thing with those built down sections)

Choy Lee has very little remaining of records and data regarding the class. They had a big fire in their yard and lost a lot of older yacht information. They were only able to provide some samples of ads run in magazines and general specs, little else.

What electrical info do you need, as the yacht had very basic needs electrically. Other then the required nav lighting, it had cabin lighting and the necessary engine control, starting, bilge pumps and charging systems, all very simple with a single battery. I've used two battery systems in most every craft I've owned, I consider it cheap insurance.

3. Jawbone

Jawbone New Member

Par thank you for the info

Par A friend of mine just bought the boat and was interested in installing a shore power hook-up and just upgrading the electrical system/systems. Since I haven't seen the boat or it's electrical system I thought I would try to obtain the electrical schematics for the craft such as they might be and see where we could go from there.
    The information you provided gives me a good idea of what I will find on this boat, it is a head start. At this point I not sure just exactly what he wants to do with the existing electrical system. I really appreciate your input Par and thank you for your reply.

4. Guttakh

Guttakh New Member

Lion Class Sloop

:p You have the opportunity to enjoy a marvelous sailing experience. I lived in Manila, Philippines from 69-75 and sailed as crew on a Lion class sloop named China Sea.

All wood construction as described in earlier email and gotta tell you it was a treat.

A bit sluggish in soft winds (9 tons, Thames measurement) but once the wind is up and you start dragging the chain plates in the water.... :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p

The China Sea had minimal electrics and we made do with it.

5. Jawbone

Jawbone New Member

Guttakh

Thank you for replying to my post. I am looking forward to working on and sailing on this craft. We will make do believe me :) :) :)
    Jawbone

6. BongoCruiser

BongoCruiser New Member

Did you find the schematic for Choey Lee Lion?

I have a complete set of plans for a Choey Lee Lion. I'm looking for a 1961 boat originally named the Coeur de Lion (hull 861) owned by my family until 1981. If anyone has information on this boat please contact me.
    Joe.Oliver@alltel.com

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.