Need spline weights?

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by 8knots, Mar 9, 2002.

1. 8knots

8knots A little on the slow side

In the Quest to gather tools for our trade or hobby I will be casting up a set of ducks as below, I made an HDU prototype last week and it feels right. im working on the real pattern now, Will anybody be interested in a set? I will sell them at cost (TBD) $15.00-20.00 US? there other ones on the market @ $25 or so but i figure anything we stare at on our drawing boards for countless sleepless nights better look good! Blast me an e-mail if you would like to see the finished product.:)

Attached Files:

2. duluthboats

duluthboats Senior Dreamer

*knots :eek:,
    The shipping from Alaska will be more than the price. Could you put DBW on them? :)
    Gary

3. 8knots

shipping

It is actually cheaper getting things out than into Alaska. Yes, shipping will not be cheap. But I hope I can find some way of getting them to people in a cost effective manner. I also have to figure out some way to make the transaction safe for both parties. I am not looking to turn this into a source of income. As soon as I get the first one made I will weigh it and check some shipping methods I have up my sleeve. Sure, I can put whatever you like on them. I am thinking of painting them with black wrinkle paint. What do you think?
    Thanks for the interest 8Kts

4. 8knots

Too many irons!

Due to the interest in this project. Update.. I will be casting them in brass or bronze as a hollow shell w/ base this will allow people to fill them with lead if they wish to save a little shipping.
    I have the furnace designed and am gathering the goods to get underway. This like everything takes longer than expected. If only I did not have to work. :( 8Kts

5. duluthboats

6. 8knots

Thanks

Gary
    Thanks for the plug!!! If you had the time to read to threads that followed your post. to answer the questions.Hmmmm
    YES i am a madman with more time than money!
    YES The pointer is on the wrong end I just can not stand the look of it. So i will sacrifice function for pretty.(add another weight)
    Thanks again! 8Kts:cool:

7. duluthboats

I got the impression that they liked them the way they are. I'm still toying with the idea of ordering some. Even with the fact that I use my PC for lofting.
    Gary

8. ZeeYachts

ZeeYachts Junior Member

Duck Shape

8 knots,

you have probably designed your shape upon looks rather than practicalities. Problems with the shape you put up will be the following:

You need as much weight as possible as far forward as possible (so the batten will not move), your centre of gravity is very far aft however. Not a good idea.

The needle at the nose seems good in theory but if you use wooden slines they will punch holes into them. This will eventually result in very bumpy drawings. Further more, the needles have a tendency to loosen with time and will either to high or to low. Not desired either.

Finally, you want a staight end (yours appears to be rounded) since you don't want the ducks to fall over.

Zee

9. SplineWeights

SplineWeights Junior Member

Www.splineweights.com

If you need spline weights look at my website. I sell two sizes or will custom make a size for you reasonable prices.

www.splineweights.com

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.