Trouble in paradise - Gabriola Island BC

Discussion in 'Education' started by sonofagun, Aug 31, 2011.

1. sonofagun

sonofagun Junior Member

After having completed 10 months with Silva Bay Shipyard School on Gabriola Island, BC a few of us students have had to take matters into our own hands as we have no other avenues of complaint or processes to gain satisfaction. We feel that we did not receive the education that we paid for.

For more information please visit our website which presents another side to the romantic invitation to come to Gabriola Island and build a boat.

Boatschoolblues tells another side of the story of Silva Bay Shipyard School on Gabriola Island, BC http://www.boatschoolblues.com

You may contact us at this address info.boatschoolblues@gmail.com

[​IMG]

2. FMS

FMS Senior Member

no one size fits all

Are you now enrolled in a different school and if so, which one?

3. sonofagun

sonofagun Junior Member

No as of the end of July, we are all graduates of Silva Bay Shipyard School . Flogging this dead horse does not necessarily advance that cause at all, as it is a small community here in coastal BC. However we feel that this needs to be aired upfront and center, numerous students have come away grumbling over the years and resigned themselves to inaction.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 21, 2011
  4. FMS

FMS Senior Member

I followed the link to Boatschoolblues but your site does not list even a single real name of a real student who has a grievance.

5. sonofagun

sonofagun Junior Member

in your mind that is needed, presently we do not feel that is required on our part. This is not a court of law. Our point is that as a perspective student your research will reveal problems around this educational program. If you weight your findings appropriately, you are then able to act accordingly. Thank you

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 21, 2011
  6. FMS

FMS Senior Member

no one size fits all, continued

Every school I've known has some students who really thrive there, some wash out, and some transfer somewhere else and thrive in a different school. A good engineering school typically has 20% of the incoming freshman wash out or transfer after their freshman year. No one size fits all. Hope you 2 find a better fit that works for you.

7. Submarine Tom

Submarine Tom Previous Member

Thane as in the Sailing Vessel THANE out of Victoria?

-Tom

Last edited: Sep 5, 2011
  8. welder/fitter

welder/fitter Senior Member

:(I'm sorry to read about this. It didn't appear that much was happening there when I was in Silva Bay in March, but I assumed that that was due to the time of year. I read your site and it appears that there is a lack of structure, in all respects, at the school. Well, as you know, the squeeky gear gets the oil, so "go to it". I remember after doing some up-grading at a local tech school, I was asked my opinion as to my experience, by the director of the welding school. "It's like a retirement village for welders" was my comment regarding the quality of instruction. Fortunately, I wasn't beginning my training and had less need for direction than some of the other students, there.

Personally, I think that "the guy next door" should open a design school there. But that's another topic, altogether.;):D

9. peter radclyffe

peter radclyffe Senior Member

silence eh

come on folks,tell us more

10. FMS

FMS Senior Member

It would give some credibility if you were confident enough in your grievance to include your real names as students who actually went to the school. Looking at www.boatschoolblues.com and not finding even a single real student willing to post their real name as a dissatisfied student makes me suspicious.

Are you in any of the photos http://www.facebook.com/pages/Silva-Bay-Shipyard-School/146740022042806?sk=photos ?

Good for everyone to research and take a good hard look at any school before signing up, I agree with that point however.

11. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

The very first day collage (Chem. E. 101), we were told there was no grading curve (Bell) nor any prorate system in place in this bachelor degree program. Regardless of grade point average, the lower 80% of the class will fail. I strained to maintain a 3.7 grade point average and I was on the borderline of failing! Come our junior year, sure enough those that where in the lower 80% bracket, did fail! They we not invited to continue, the now very specialized classes that were about to take place. The problem was, they could only afford so many students in the class and this was considered the fair way to handle it. I just made it and was in the 14% bracket by the time I was a junior. This was the washout rate, in the highest ranked Chem E school in the USA. I'm not sure what the original poster's issues are/were, but as has been pointed out, some rise up, some can just barely keep up (like me) and some come floating to the top belly first. It's a natural selection thing for the most part and the school rarely is the problem. The vast majority of the time, it's the student's preparation and study skills. In short, I've never met a student that really wanted the degree and studied their butt off, that didn't get it. On the other hand I have met many, that had every excuse in the world for why they failed, dropped out or other wise couldn't achieve their education goals.

12. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

As their website says
    "True enough if you are a self-directed type you may cope with it. For the rest of us shmucks, those that need more supervision and mentoring after all we are paying top dollar, we that put up many-many thousands of dollars in tuition, we get to the end of the ride - empty."

Whats that famous line from the movie "Good Will Hunting", by the janitor who was a maths wizard, but never attended Uni
    Q:"Why did you never go to Uni ?"

A: "What - spend $80,000 to learn what would cost a few hundred bucks in Library late fees to find out?"

Its true that you need real persistence and desire to learn, but there are plenty of inept teachers who think that by providing a few text book references that they are doing their job.

13. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

I disagree in that there are "plenty" of inept . . .

Getting an education is up to the student. The instructor can't beat it into you. You have to want it, fight for it, grab it, by God take from them, suck them dry if you have to. You paying for the opportunity and the privilege, not a wet nurse job, as they hand hold your pitiful butt, through the nuances of every detail you don't understand. That's what tutoring is for, or a study group, to help in the areas you suck at.

Maybe in another 50 years, they can just plug a thumb drive to your *** and you'll suddenly become a Naval Architect, but I hope not.

1 person likes this.
  14. pdwiley

pdwiley Senior Member

When I did my science degree we got told in 2nd year zoology that they'd failed 47% of the previous year's students. They had a standard and they'd fail 100% if they had to rather than lower it. They invited those who weren't prepared to work & learn to depart now while transferring out had no penalty.

You want to learn, you learn. You want to be spoon fed, well, sooner or later you hit problems. I saw a fair bit of it with private school kids who hit university. They'd had a lot of intensive coaching in school and were now in an environment where nobody much cared if they failed or not in first year. The cull had to happen somehow.

I'm still learning and hope to be as long as I live. I hunt information down and try to fit it into my world view.

PDW

15. pistnbroke

pistnbroke I try

Well I looked at the web complaint site and it lacked substance ..all too wooly ..when you look at the web for the school then they must have some bottle to advertise and charge what they do if its all crap..open days ..returning studens etc ..... The time lapse video shows it all to me ...loads of activity and a boat being built in what looked like shop conditons
    Strange one to call this .....Where is Frosty ..he would have a take on it .....

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.