Need some help with spotted gum shelves

Discussion in 'Wooden Boat Building and Restoration' started by Archie1979, Sep 5, 2008.

1. Archie1979

Archie1979 Junior Member

Gday everyone,
    Just looking for some help really on installing my spotted gum shelves, I have installed the chines and stringers but my problem lies with the shelves.
    As the frames toward the bow are curved quite significantly i need help in how you go about attaching the shelves.
    Do i twist the spotted gum to fit into the frames or do I install the shelves without twisting them and just fair them to the frames which would leave about half of the original stock at the bow, where they join the breast hook.
    Obviously midships and towards the transom this is not a problem as there is minimal curve in the hull at these points.

I hope I have made some sense here.

Attached Files:

2. alan white

alan white Senior Member

No matter what, you'll lose material at the bow, so do what stresses you and the wood least. If you band-saw up the middle of the tightest curvature, it will bend easily, especially if steamed a bit, and when dry you can fill the cut with thickened epoxy, clamp, and later shape. Less stock loss that way.

Alan

3. Archie1979

Archie1979 Junior Member

Good idea, Will go down to the shed and give that a go.
    Thanks Alan