I need info on fuel cells

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by vaporvette, May 3, 2011.

1. vaporvette

vaporvette Junior Member

I have a small boat that will need a cell.
    I would like at approx 12-15 gallons.
    I would like to be able to strap it down.

1: What company should I be looking at to purchase?
    2: Where is the optimal output location?
    3: How do I go about using a fuel level gauge?
    how do they work in a boat, are they accurate,should I even bother?

2. vaporvette

vaporvette Junior Member

anyone have any info?

3. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Why a fuel cell? Why not a conventional portable or below deck tank(s)? All output locations will be the same on a marine tank, through the top. A fuel gauge is about the most simple gauge you can install and the instruction with a new gauge/sending unit kit will easily nurse you through it. Yes, they are accurate, of course the more accurate, the more money you have to throw at it. A graduated stick is reasonably accurate and has no moving parts. On the other side of the coin you could spring for an electronic gauge/sender package that will give you not only how much is in the tank, but how much you've used, how fast, how much more time you have at current use, etc. Welcome to the forum.

4. vaporvette

vaporvette Junior Member

Thanks for the reply.
    I have a small boat and I believe a cell is my best option because of limited space.My plan is to strap it to the floor on the bow.
    I have built many hot rods so I am familiar with sending units and such but have never dealt with boat electronics and the lack of a fuel pump. I guess my main problem is finding a decent site to buy my goodies. so far the sites I have found lack important details on gauges such as ohm output and even the diameter of the unit.where is a good place to look at tanks and gauges?

5. PAR

Lets get some specifics, such as make, model and year boat. If it's a small boat, you don't want the tank up front. You could alter your trim sufficiently enough to cause several very undesirable traits.

Again, since it's a small boat, you're probably outboard powered with a portable tank. Yep, the damn tank gets in the way, but such is life in a small boat. You could divide the tankage up into two, smaller, placed against the aft sides of the boat, maybe offering additional foot room.

Of course, this is all speculation, as we don't know what you have. Tank requirements/regulations on boats are pretty much written in stone and for good reason.

Fuel senders on boats work exactly the same way as the automotive equivalents, they sense a percentage of ground. Fuel gauge diameters are standardized at 2.125" from the usual sources.

6. daiquiri

daiquiri Engineering and Design

Fuel cell, in a sense of a device which directly converts chemical energy to electrical?
    Or am I getting it wrong?

7. PAR

[​IMG]
    No Slavi, I'm pretty sure he means the bladder style of automotive fuel cell. These are typically seen in race cars.

8. vaporvette

vaporvette Junior Member

I thought the fuel up front was a good idea to keep the bow down since I weigh 220# and the boat has a 35 h.p. outboard.

Here are a few pics of the boat.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is the area in the bow

[​IMG]

this is my other option behind the seat(my battery will be here)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. daiquiri

daiquiri Engineering and Design

Ah, ok then. Thanks PAR, I didn't know these tanks are also called fuel cells.

It sounded like a sci-fi request to me. :)

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.