18th Century Sailboats

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by bdratty, Dec 12, 2009.

1. bdratty

bdratty New Member

I’m writing a book about Captain Gray and the sloop Lady Washington. I’m looking for the word or words that would describe the ‘short wooden sticks’ used on sailboats in those days. You usually see them at the base of the mast and were a tool used by the sailors. In fight scenes of old movies these sticks were used to club another person. I wanted to call them ‘sail mulls’ but it just doesn’t look right. Thanks for any help, Brian

2. JLIMA

JLIMA crazed throttleman

The term you are looking for is belaying pin. They are also found along the gunwales of many ships of that period.

3. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

I would suggest spending a few hours with your nose in a nautical glossary, if you're writing about a captain and a sloop and are unfamiliar with shipboard and sailing terms. There are some online, including at Wikipedia.

4. jim lee

jim lee Senior Member

Heck, go book a crew position on the Lady Washington herself. That'll learn 'ya.

-jim lee

5. Kay9

Kay9 1600T Master

You might also read the Hornblower series and the Captain Jack Aubrey. Both authors will help you start to understand the language of 18th century ships.

Also Im a commercial captain and a fisherman here on the Oregon coast and I am willing to help you as well.

Just PM me and Ill send you some contact info.

K9

6. bdratty

bdratty New Member

Thanks Captain, I live on the Oregon coast as well. In Warrenton. This new project is historical fiction for young adults. It's my third novel. Maybe you would consider reviewing the chapters that relate to the voyage from Boston to Tillimock? My email address is: bdratty@media-west.com

7. Kay9

Kay9 1600T Master

I would be more then happy.

E-mail sent.

K9

8. narwhal

narwhal Junior Member

Another good author who talks the nautical nitty-gritty of the late 18th-early 19th centuries is Dewey Lambdin, with his Alan Lewrie series.

9. Kay9

Kay9 1600T Master

I havnt heard of him. Ill have to start reading his books.

K9

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.