need some advise on my poor mans boat design

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by terry.green11, Apr 29, 2009.

1. terry.green11

terry.green11 New Member

hey guys and gals im thinkin about building me a boat out of some scratch stuff i have layin around the farm and what im thinking about doing is welding some 55 gal drums together and making something just big enough for the lake to do some fishing on could anyone give me some advise on which would be better 55 gal metal drems or plastic and does anyone know if u can weld plastic drums together wih a plastic welder and it be sturdy enough for a couple of guys to sit on thanks for the advise
    terry

2. blackdaisies

blackdaisies Senior Member

You can even buy those large round coolers, the circular ones, line them up, attach them to a frame, and they float. I"m sure hollow metal water proof drums lined up will make a nice catamaran or just a raft.

No expert, no experience, but have searched them on the internet too.

3. lewisboats

lewisboats Obsessed Member

Quadruple rinse and then chuck some dry ice into the drums...let it displace all residual vapors and gasses inside before even attempting to weld them together. having it float is the easy part...getting it to move any great distance will be another!

4. Brent Swain

Brent Swain Member

I have welded that plastic drum material together . Tricky but can be done.
    Brent

5. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

I don't trust those plastic welding gadgets. Too much risk of changing the microstructure of the material into something completely unsuitable for the intended load.

Please don't try to weld the steel-walled oil or chemical drums without cleaning them out, carefully, several times. We like you alive and in one piece.

If you're just planning to putter around the lake at four miles an hour, building a wooden frame and deck (floating dock style) and just strapping individual barrels to the underside would likely be easier than trying to weld them together. A couple of 2x8s or 2x10s on edge, about 18-24 inches apart, with sufficient cross-bracing, forms a nice cradle of sorts that can sit on top of a row of barrels. Two of these, with a deck in between, is the standard Ontario cottage-country floating dock. Strap the barrels in with some winch webbing, add a 5-horse outboard, and you have a great mobile fishing platform for calm water.

6. terry.green11

terry.green11 New Member

hey guys thanks for the advise im gunna get to work on this boat this weekend and ill let ya know and psot a pic

7. lewisboats

lewisboats Obsessed Member

Perhaps we should refer to this as a raft or platform...rather than a "boat"...feathers could be ruffled without cause....;)

8. terry.green11

terry.green11 New Member

does anyone know the laws for arkansas on regesturing a lil home made raft?

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.