Skinny H16 power cat camper w/ez sailrig

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Slim Sleepy, Apr 13, 2008.

1. Slim Sleepy

Slim Sleepy New Member

Hi Group, I am a complete an utter design novice and would appreciate your ideas on a H16 I am modifying. The H16 parts I have are: The hulls, rudders and 4 cross bars. I want to replace the non existent tramp with a lightweight plywood camping platform (secured to the top of the hulls) with a 5hp motor hanging off of that same plywood platform (or hang the motor off the rear cross bar mount if that is wiser). I would like the beam width as narrow as possible (to reduce platform weight, give a shot at cartoppable and cuz it would be cool! (there I go again). In the next configuration I will try to add the Bravo tripod sailrig (or something more appropriate for ez sailing) and rowing oars so please keep that in mind when considering what beam width might be appropriate. For now though were designing a narrow H16 with plywood camping platform and 5hp motor (again this is more important than the sailing element at this time). My questions so far are how narrow of a Beam is practical given a plywood platform (instead of the tramp) and the approximate 16ft 7inch length of the H16 hulls if I keep the sail area modest. Also do you think it would it be wiser to hang the 5hp motor off the built up plywood or the rear crossbar or centered more towards the back of the hulls (as has been shown by Jack Hoying in the Beach Cat forums). I'm hoping the crossbars can be cut to whatever beam width will work for the above concept. The main purpose of the boat will be plying the Sacramento River under power and having a place to lay down and snooze should the mood strike us. Finally it would be great if anyone had ideas on a sail rig for this type of contraction. For example would the tripod Bravo rig work or the very well drawn Jimmy Skiff sail rig or a lateen rig? I was told although a 2hp motor would work a 5hp would allow for wind and some current. I look forward to your ideas and experience in this matter. Slim Sleepy

2. kach22i

kach22i Architect

1. There are lighter and stronger materials than plywood to choose from.

2. Posting pictures of your craft or a similar one will help.

3. We also have a Catamaran/Multi-hull section of the forum.

3. alan white

alan white Senior Member

Increasing beam costs little but makes for a lot of stability. But 6 1/2 ft., for example, might be a good comprimise if the rig is short.
    You are not going to get this onto a car top as described, as the hulls alone are pretty heavy.
    For the sail rig, a sprit rig is easy to strike or reef. Forget the jib and have two forestays to further simplify the set-up. That makes four stays, no spreaders required. And I sure would get rid of the heavy and balky to use rudder/tiller system and use a single rudder (enlarge one of the existing ones), locate it on center and mount the motor next to it.
    I would also make a shallow footwell with a streamlined underbody shape. A place to put your feet! (can you tell I can't stand the H-16 ergonomics?).

Alan

4. Slim Sleepy

Slim Sleepy New Member

Well George lighter material sounds great...what did you have in mind and do you know what distance it could span carrying a total of 450 lbs? Pictures will have to wait. Imagine 2 H16 hulls with the 4 bars....plywood sitting on top of the hulls as the deck and a motor off the rear built up section of that same platform. I was hoping that this concept would catch the imagination of the group but so far no...so your thoughts are especially welcomed (as they would be anyway!) Sleepy Slim

5. Slim Sleepy

Slim Sleepy New Member

Alan your ideas are probably excellent but I'm going to have to do a little research before asking you questions. But I will say that for sailing I was told the stock rudders will be needed....for motoring they could be cut down. I have been advised a single rudder on an H16 just doesn't turn well. However you may be right or you may have been addressing the power option more than the sail. I will review your ideas more when time permits and try to ask an intelligent question. Thanks! Sleepy Slim

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.