need plan for boat

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Dennis2203, Aug 26, 2014.

1. Dennis2203

Dennis2203 New Member

Does anybody have plans for a hull like this?

I would like to build a modern looking, self bailing (water running out), boat that can take an outboard, and perhaps can be used with a light sail also (with board).

I am thinking of plywood or aluminum... not locked in to a length at all, but I do want to be able to take it on the long island sound, in nice calm weather.

Attached Files:

2. messabout

messabout Senior Member

Self bailing boats are not uncommon. In some cases, such a boat is more dangerous than one that does not have the self bailing feature.

You can have an efficient outboard powered boat or you can have an efficient sailing boat. You can not have both in the same package.

3. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Welcome to the forum.

That boat pictured is much larger than it appears. It's also not an especially safe craft in a following sea or rough conditions. It's not a flush sole, but has a raised box the engine is hanging off of. The sole is a step down, meaning it's not an open transom style of boat, which I figure is about 22' long.

The image isn't clear or large enough to see if the sole has transom scuppers, but it doesn't look like it, so it's probably handled with a pump, like most boats.

You can have one or the other, but not both, so a slow powerboat that sails fairly well or a pretty good powerboat that sails like crap.

4. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

I have been involved in a design that can sail and power acceptably.

Can you tell me what power speed and sail performance you would be happy with ?

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.