Need Paint Help

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by flydog, Apr 13, 2007.

1. flydog

flydog Junior Member

Would it be a mistake to paint the hull of my newly-constructed plywood lapstrake dinghy with INTERLUX BRIGHTSIDE polyurethane? The Jametown Distributors boat painting guide does not recommend PU paint for wooden hulls as it tends to peel too easily. I stumbled across this guide AFTER I bought the paint. I guess that I am making all of the costly newbie mistakes on this boat. It will be living primarily on a trailer in my back yard in the Atlanta area.
    Would it be better to finish the outside with a good oil-based exterior enamel? So far I have sealed inside and out with INTERLUX sanding sealer and have put on one coat of INTERLUX Pre-Kote for PU Brightside on the interior.
    I am just trying to avoid having to refinish the boat shortly after launching.

Thanks guys, you have all been a big help along the way.

flydog

2. timgoz

timgoz Senior Member

What does Interlux have to say about the paints compatability with wood?

If needed, do they have a wood friendly paint that works with the already applied primer?

I'd personally want to keep all the coating components from the same company. Others with more first hand knowledge, know how, and what to mix & match, and may have ways to get out of your dilemma, if that is what you find you're in.

Have a good one.

TGoz

3. timgoz

timgoz Senior Member

I sorta thought you were going to leave the topsides clear. Looks great as it is.

TGoz

4. CaptScot

CaptScot Junior Member

Flydog, You should be fine with the Brightside and you are applying it correctly (sanding sealer, pre-kote and then the top coat). I have Jamestown's 2007 catalog and on pg 95 for Interlux's Brightside it says it can be used on wood. I also have an Interlux "Boater's Painting Guide" and it states "..can be applied to wood ...to paint hull sides and decks." This should go on just like a tradition oil-based paint. I'm restoring a large cruiser and on the advice of a very experience professional shipwright I put on my hull sanding sealer. a white undercoat by Z-Spar (I could have used pre-kote), and will finish with Z-Spar's oil-based top coat. I can't see where you might have read Brightside wouldn't work on wood. I've used it for painting my interior. Good luck. Scott

5. messabout

messabout Senior Member

I've painted several wooden boats with two part urethane. The trick is to have the wood sealed sufficiently that it takes up little or no moisture. PU paints are usually pretty hard and have limited elasticity. Swelling and shrinking of the wood could cause problems. The boats that I have done are epoxy saturated and no problems have occurred. Perhaps you should call Jamestown for their advice.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.